Best place to get an ex racer in berks/hants?

Samantha008

Visit site
My friend has decided to buy an ex racer, she wants to retrain it herself completely etc and we dont know ehere the best place to go is?Do race tracks have sales you can turn up at? How much does a standard racer go for?

Completely new territory for me, i have no idea what so ever. Wouldnt even know where to start other than finding an onwer on a race day but that would be expensive (and crazy)!!! She is on a budget!

Shed happily rescue one, but doesnt want to be paying a fortune in monthly "loan fees" like some of the rehoming places do! She wants to own the horse and plans on it as a forever horse rather than one just to train and sell on.

Ideas please!!!

Its Not Magic

Visit site
My friend has decided to buy an ex racer, she wants to retrain it herself completely etc and we dont know ehere the best place to go is?Do race tracks have sales you can turn up at? How much does a standard racer go for?

Completely new territory for me, i have no idea what so ever. Wouldnt even know where to start other than finding an onwer on a race day but that would be expensive (and crazy)!!! She is on a budget!

Shed happily rescue one, but doesnt want to be paying a fortune in monthly "loan fees" like some of the rehoming places do! She wants to own the horse and plans on it as a forever horse rather than one just to train and sell on.

Ideas please!!!

Blimey...why would she want to?

Samantha008

Visit site
Yeah she has the knowledge. Shes done it before but got handed the horse as no one else wanted her, so never had to look :(

I dont, but im not riding it so not a problem ;) Im just the person with too much time on my hands trying to find her places to go!!

We know about ascot sales, but just wondered if there was anything else around here.

I have no idea why she wants to. Shes obviously mental ;) Give me my hunter types anyday of the week! Each to their own though!!

Aces_High

Visit site
I would get in contact with some Lambourn trainers and ask them. If you want any names and telephone numbers then PM me. Approaching them directly is often best. If you set a day aside you can then visit a few yards and see a number of horses. What age etc is she looking for?

Samantha008

Visit site
Agewise- anything of an age that can be in full work so 4+ i guess. Colour- not picky. Gender- not picky. I think she just wants something sane(ish) and sound. 15.3hh+++

How much would they go for straight from the trainer? Would be nice to go around the yards and were only 40 mins from lambourn

Little Squirrel

Visit site
Yep Ascot sales would probably be the best place if she wants to do it all herself from scratch but make sure you go around and pull every potential horse out of it's box check it's legs, ask questions and be sure before bidding. Horses can go for as low as £400. Next sale is 23rd of August I think. You can ring them and get a catalouge before the sale so you know whats going to be there.

kirsty 1

Visit site
I work in a yard in lambourn and the flat season finishes in november thats when allot of the flat trainers are getting rid of the old stock for the yearlings your more likely to get 1 then cheep or even free but for 1 out of training i wouldnt pay more than £500