Best places in UK for carriage driving

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Where are the best places in the UK for carriage driving can take place safely and enjoyably, both off road and on road. Modern traffic is making it more and more dangerous to drive horses or ponies on the roads, but there must still be areas of our beautiful countryside where one can drive for miles without the fear of being run into. Any suggestions?

Crazycob06

Visit site
My livery yard teaches driving! They have a lovely field in great condition they use and there isn't too much traffic here in the roads either. They also go to the forest about 20 minutes away for special drives. We're in Suffolk.

windand rain

Visit site
We have just had a new driving and riding trail opened in Willingham Woods it is supposed to be 80 miles of track trails and quiet roads

windand rain

Visit site
Just outside Market Rasen North Lincolnshire opposite the race course. Lots of places to stay too if you were looking for a holiday if not local enough

katastrophykat

Visit site
I'm north east, and go out dressed like a Xmas tree with much more hiviz than this usually- cant find a pic!

IMG_2475.jpg

I do struggle for off road driving, Yorkshire is better- some private estates allow driving on an annual ticket- like escrick park.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
I have driven for over 30 years but the traffic is now so different from when I first started. Several people I know have had bad accidents or near misses on the roads and even my vet said 'it's just not safe to drive on the roads any more'. I lost my driving pony last year and am debating whether to start again or call it a day.

Kat

Visit site
Lots of driving folk round me but they all just use the lanes, there is very little off road riding never mind driving.

There are quite a lot of off road routes in the peak but the trail bikes and green laners make them impassable for carriages.

Fii

Visit site
We have a lovely circular route near us that used to take about an hour and a half at mainly walk, half of it is BP and traffic is restricted to twenty mph, i can also get the key to the forest, although some of the sand tracks are a bit deep!
I dont have a driving horse now, and i do miss it!! :(

FairyLights

Visit site
Leintwardine area Shrops/Herefordshire border, Twitchen Blackhill between Bucknell and Clunton, Ludlow area and Dyfnant forest nr Welshpool = good for driving.

Last edited:

Orangehorse

Visit site
A good place to start is to have your own farm/estate to drive round. TROT toll rides and TROT forestry routes are often good for driving. Forestry Commission woods are also quite good in some places. If you are seriously looking then join your local driving group. There is a group near me and they go out every week all year and often go away for weekends to places where there is good driving.

I tend to agree that driving on the roads seems to be very hazardous, have had a friend who was out driving and a drunk driver went straight into the back of her, she was lucky not to be badly injured, but it injured and ruined her horse which was never safe again. Elderly Driver handed in his licence and got a slap on the wrist. There must be some places where it is OK but few and far between. It is one thing to avoid a car with one horse, but with a carriage there is nowhere to go.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Thank you Orangehorse I didn't know about the TROT toll rides. You are so right - the roads are lethal I know of so many accidents (one fatal) that it scares me to death driving on public roads.

Thank you Horsesforever1 for all your very useful suggestions - I shall now trace them all on the map! You have been SO helpful today already, I really can't thank you enough. There is nothing like tapping into local knowledge when you want to find out about an area.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I drive a lot less now since my two favourite routes were blocked for driving :(. One now has posts across to stop vehicles and the other now has the gate padlocked at one point and a horse gate next to it that is too narrow for a trap. If I had the money I'd think of getting one of the little chariots they make up near Penrith, they'd fir through the gap.

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Thank you c2b very interesting.

Gloi - I too drive a lot less than I did mainly because of fast aggressive tractor drivers where we live. Twenty years ago I used to drive all round the lanes and through villages and people slowed down and were much more considerate. Our local landowner's son (who acts about 12) has recently got his tractor license and in a short space of time has already nearly hit two of my neighbours and backed into another's car outside her cottage. He is arrogant, terribly fast and totally uncaring. Nobody likes him but he doesn't give a damn and has managed to turn the narrow lanes round here into a potential death trap! Hence I just daren't take a pony and trap out on the roads. We are moving as soon as we find the right property - can't wait!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Patchworkpony, I agree about the traffic being more aggressive. My pony is no longer young and doesn't bother about much at all. When I ride out on the roads most vehicles are fairly good but in the trap it's like they don't see it as there's a pony there and many don't slow down at all. I had a large group of motorcycles pass me at 80+ mph last time I was out, it was as if they hadn't registered it was a pony and to take more care. I also hate it when waiting at a junction and cars pull up inches from the back of the trap. I know he's pretty good but I can't promise he'll never fidgit a step backwards while we're waiting for a gap to cross the road.
It's worth talking to the local police about the tractor driver though. We used to have someone with a tractor who used to think it a lark to make horses bolt and after the police spoke to him about it he became much better mannered.
C2b That trail looks really good, I wish it was nearer.

Last edited:

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Gloi - doubt whether the police would touch him. Daddy is technically 'Lord of the Manor' and also an important local councillor so this boy thinks he is something very special! His sister is just the same. No - the best thing we are going to do is move. But exactly where we are not sure as there are so few areas in this country now where you can just drive out of your own gate and be safe.