Best plastic mounting block

soph15

Visit site
I have a spooky horse who has had some trouble in the past with mounting blocks. I’m looking to buy a plastic one which needs to be sturdy enough that it doesn’t creek or move but light enough to take to events in a trailer but also tall enough for a large horse (so 3 steps ideally!)

Thanks in advance!! ?

TPO

Visit site
I bought one from Kraemer. It randomly also has mouldings in it so that it can be used for raised poles/small jumps.

It's not the tallest but does the job and is light enough to cart about in the horse lorry

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
3 steps, but wood, 60 cm tall:
https://www.connox.com/categories/h...gAyRAIC1ntsLEWQRW84zLTTEk9kX_BTRoCzSMQAvD_BwE
Hockerleiter-Gruppe-Buche-schwarz.jpg

If only 2 steps is acceptable, google Car wash stools. Some of them have top steps from above 50 cm high, up to around 60 cm high. For example:

1330a9acfae5c385606b4a823d.jpg@4e_360w_360h.src%7C95Q.webp

Or

41hs8HspF9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

turkana

Visit site
Sorry but with my ecologist hat on - can you not use breeze blocks or make do with a fence/gate ? Why do we need a plastic solution for this ?
You're expecting somebody to lift breeze blocks in and out of her lorry? Plastic mounting blocks are light enough to be moved around easily.
There's also not always a convenient gate/fence when you're out and about

Nasicus

Visit site
Sorry but with my ecologist hat on - can you not use breeze blocks or make do with a fence/gate ? Why do we need a plastic solution for this ?
"needs to be sturdy enough that it doesn’t creek or move but light enough to take to events in a trailer"

Plus, I don't personally think there is anything particularly terrible about an item that can be used multiple times and will have a sensibly long life span, just because it might be made of plastic. I'd be much more concerned about unnecessary single use plastic products myself.

ITPersonnage

Visit site
Ok so in my grumpiness :) I failed to read all of it, didn't see that it was for the trailer. All I am saying is that you could use something else, how about a fairly sturdy water bucket upside down? Just think we all need to rein in the plastic stuff that's all.

lar

Visit site
The Stubbs 3 step block transformed my relationship with my (now ex) loan horse. Clearly his very tall teenage owner had let him walk off from the mounting block as she got on. Being old and stiff that was no good for me and we had a couple of potentially nasty incidents where he walked off from the two step block while I was still trying to get on. The 3 step block was secure enough for me to sort his walking off in 5 minutes and was tall enough to make getting on him a breeze. It is quite bulky but is lightweight so you can hump it around if you have the space for it in your trailer.

Moogleberry

Visit site
The Stubbs 3 step block transformed my relationship with my (now ex) loan horse. Clearly his very tall teenage owner had let him walk off from the mounting block as she got on. Being old and stiff that was no good for me and we had a couple of potentially nasty incidents where he walked off from the two step block while I was still trying to get on. The 3 step block was secure enough for me to sort his walking off in 5 minutes and was tall enough to make getting on him a breeze. It is quite bulky but is lightweight so you can hump it around if you have the space for it in your trailer.

Another vote for the Stubbs 3 step I’ve had one for a few years now and taken it in the lorry and trailer to fun rides and lessons etc, everyone on the yard is always borrowing it, bit bulky but light and easy to move and pretty stable too

palo1

Visit site
I am with ITPersonnage !! Please try to find a wooden or metal alternative to plastic. Although it will be used many times it will still end up not biodegrading where wood and metal would do. Plastic just isn't an ok solution to things these days. :( Sorry not to be encouraging.

gallopingby

Visit site
Ok so in my grumpiness :) I failed to read all of it, didn't see that it was for the trailer. All I am saying is that you could use something else, how about a fairly sturdy water bucket upside down? Just think we all need to rein in the plastic stuff that's all.
Have you ever tried using a water bucket as a mounting block?!!! Unless you’re getting on a donkey they don’t really work as not tall enough, the plastic cracks if they’re outside.
Hope you enjoy your grumpy day ?
The Stubbs ones seem the most competitively priced of ‘proper’ mounting blocks.

EnduroRider

Visit site
All I am saying is that you could use something else, how about a fairly sturdy water bucket upside down?

I cannot be the only person that has found myself half on the horse with a bucket wedged on my foot as I have just gone through it. Please don't use a bucket!!

I use my Stubbs Saddle Mate as a mounting block when out and about but none of my ponies are very big so it may not work for proper horses! ;)

Nasicus

Visit site
I cannot be the only person that has found myself half on the horse with a bucket wedged on my foot as I have just gone through it. Please don't use a bucket!!
Nope, I've gone through a couple nice, sturdy buckets before, when used in a pinch. Which ironically had to be replaced with new plastic buckets....

lar

Visit site
The problem with those stools with legs is they are not enormously stable if you have 16.3 of horse pratting around while you are hopping around with your foot in the stirrup.

soph15

Visit site
Thank you everyone! I’ve gone with the stubbs one in the end. Yes I know plastic isn’t ideal but having broken my back a couple years ago, heavy lifting is no longer possible and not all events/beaches etc have an object you can use as a block. I avoid using plastic in every single way possible but at least a mounting block will be used thousands of times for years and years and will never go to waste?

Pippity

Visit site
I have a little folding three-step stepladder. Lovely and light, folds up to nothing for storage in my van or tackroom, and gives me enough height that my knackered hips are happy.

palo1

Visit site
I have had my Rubbermaid Folding 3 step stool for 19 years so I'd hardly call it single use plastic. 63 cm high, especially for an old cripple like me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubbermaid...ocphy=1007151&hvtargid=pla-385778436180&psc=1

I know and they are really good but the reality is that even if you use a plastic block for 20 years it will still end up in landfill and shed plastic micro-bits for many hundreds of years. It absolutely will contribute to environmental damage. It will be hugely hard for all of us to try to move away from plastic but every time we buy something we should consider that now sadly.