best probiotic supplements?

sophiebailey

Visit site
After colic-ing 2 weeks ago Bailey has been on a probiotic supplement prescribed by the vet. I'm nearly at the end of the tub and were wondering what else is on the market 'over the counter' so to speak. He was on NAF in the pink senior when he colic-ed so I might like to try something different?

Any experiences/advice? :)

gracenarchie

Visit site
Hiya
am by no means an expert so other forum users will be much more informative but a friend of mine had excellent results just adding a supermarket natural yoghurt to her mare's feed on a daily basis. also have heard positive things about adding a measured course of psyllium husk to feed ( its not a probiotic but a fibre that soaks up water and makes like a gel in the gut which helps everything to pass smoothly through, so sort of cleanses the gut in the process - hope that makes sense ) but am sure others can elaborate more on this subject for you :)
x

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yea sacc. Or you can add brewers yeast.

Yea sacc is a live yeast. There is also N saccharomyces cerivisae (sp?) which you can check for when buying digestive supplements.

Buy foods that aid digestion and provide as much roughage as you can and take out all starch sources post-colic and give feeds you can soak e.g. speedibeet/fibrebeet into sloppy mashes.

Herbs might help soothe irritated gut lining.

Turn out on short grass and dr. green will help sort things out too.

sophiebailey

Visit site
Pre colic he was fed calm + condition, shall I swop that for something else?

Currently he's just having a few handfuls of alpha A with some water in for his supplements

glenruby

Visit site
Protein probiotics are the best on the market. Pro soothe or bio premium. Don't feed a supplement with psyllium husks on a daily basis- they are usually recommended for horses grazing on sandy soils/who have previously suffered from sand colic and should be given for no more than 1-2 weeks at a time. If this is needed, contact your vet for advice.

Kassandra

New User
Visit site
Protexin Gutbalancer is basically yea-sacc with a nice price tag and some maize meal thrown in for good measure :)

Save your money and buy pure yea-sacc which is scientifically proven:

http://www.pegasushealth.com/product/probiotic_for_horses

Thank you!!!! This is such a helpful comment! If you start reading the ingredients lists of various supplements you can see that they do indeed basically all contain the same, just the marketing and the packaging varies. Horse supplements are huge business (£££) and it seems that they are very protective of their magical formula - still, in the end they all come back to the same basics, i.e. brewers yeast and maybe some vitamins thrown in.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
After colic-ing 2 weeks ago Bailey has been on a probiotic supplement prescribed by the vet. I'm nearly at the end of the tub and were wondering what else is on the market 'over the counter' so to speak. He was on NAF in the pink senior when he colic-ed so I might like to try something different?

Any experiences/advice? :)

Colikare really works when they start to colic as it breaks down the gas build up makes food easier to pass through tried and tested here many times http://pro-equine.com/products/colikare

best gut balancer is Protexin

secondly ultimate balancer by D&H