Best products to treat a new bridle?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
This is the blurb that accompanied my new Sabre bridle. I used Flexalan to condition it.

Initial Oiling: ALL items MUST be treated before use to condition the leather & protect the water based dyes used in the tanning process. Apply 2 - 3 light coats of blended neatsfoot oil sparingly with a brush on a ratio of 2 coats to the flesh (underside) of the leather to 1 coat on the topside of the leather.

Maintenance Care: You should treat your leather products as you do your own skin, keeping them clean, supple & moisturised. After each use, wipe off with a damp cloth to remove sweat and dirt build up. Depending upon the frequency of use, you should regularly clean & condition your leather; clean items with a little glycerine saddle soap & using a clean, damp sponge, wipe the dirt and soap off. Allow to dry and then apply a light coat of neatsfoot oil to all surfaces to replenish the fibres We only recommend using the above cleaning products on our goods.

General Advice: Do not use excessive amounts of oil as this can be as damaging as using none at all! Wet leather must always be allowed to dry naturally at room temperature. Check leather & stitching regularly for signs of stress and replace if necessary - always consider that for safety reasons, no piece of leather will restrain an "in-flight" horse secured to a fixed object.

cremedemonthe

Was Caterham on the Hill, Surrey now Wales
Visit site
Alot of it is ignorance Tiddlypom, they don't bother to follow up new methods and/or old ones , what's good for leather donkeys years ago may not suit modern hides, the tanning has changed plus the rearing of the cattle used to produce it.
FIRST thing they taught us in saddlery college (1987) was DON'T oil your hide, it can and does oxidise the hide.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Why do Sabre advise oil then, Oz? Does it depend on how the leather was tanned?

Agree with Oz, they're massively out of date. Even Stride Free saddles are showing using a PAINT BRUSH to coat their new saddles with oil. Astonishing.

In the first instance yes, ask the vendor/maker, but many are out of date. In most instances I would use Oz's conditioner, or Sedgwick, the only ones I can be sure don't have nasties in, follow the instructions, and use the bridle pure and simple. You can sit in front of the telly and work the tack in your hands once conditioned, but don't take short cuts like oil.