Best quality light weight turnout

poiuytrewq

Visit site
After my loan horse being drenched again in his own light weight this morning I’m on the hunt for a new one.
My other two had Horseware’s on and were bone dry but I’ve had a quick google and can’t afford another Rambo.
Budget of under £100 (including delivery!)
Must be 1200d and have a separate neck.
I think my best bet is a Amigo Bravo 12 plus but if anyone has an idea to rival that I’d be interested.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a rhino, much cheaper than the rambo (some about sub £100) it's years old it might even be one of the ones I picked up second hand (from people that buy nice rugs for youngsters that they grow out of ;) as only 5'9). It's much better than an amigo IME. We've had PE ones too, they stayed dry but they were just so heavy when wet.

Nicnac

Visit site
After ID trashed expensive lightweight rugs, I bought Maxima ones - they have just finished their second year and still going strong surprisingly. Cheap and impressed with the quality. I have no-fills and use with their thin liners when it gets colder. Haven't had leakage problems and wash them in my washing machine and haven't reproofed.

Scarlett

Visit site
I've just bought the Ruggles no fill 1200D turnout with detachable neck cover - £76. The quality and fit are excellent. I was really impressed with the heavier fill Ruggles combo my sharer bought one of our horses and thought I would give them a try. Lots of positive reviews too.

FYI - I had Swish, also 1200D etc, however within 9 months they were no longer waterproof in anything but a light shower so I would personally avoid them.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've just sold some cheaper lightweights (Gallop, Amigo, etc) as I found they were not waterproof. 600d doesn't seem to be enough and a lot of lightweights seem to be this. I now have Rhinos and Weatherbeetas instead but all bought in sales as they come up.

jnb

Visit site
Weatherbeeta Comfitec the 1200D ones...bone dry
I have a 6ft 6 Hare print one for sale (Baby cob grew out of it and wore it about 10 times in torrential rain)

Sophire

Visit site
I actually really rate my Amigo Lightweights. I have one which is ancient, and another that is 2nd hand as you can't turn down a good bargain!! I find they work well and fit well, I never have a wet horse unless it's absolutely bucketing, and to be honest I don't expect that from it.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I've just bought the Ruggles no fill 1200D turnout with detachable neck cover - £76. The quality and fit are excellent. I was really impressed with the heavier fill Ruggles combo my sharer bought one of our horses and thought I would give them a try. Lots of positive reviews too.

FYI - I had Swish, also 1200D etc, however within 9 months they were no longer waterproof in anything but a light shower so I would personally avoid them.

Me too!
1200D mediumweight turnout, 280g, 7'6" HH fit for £52 plus £5 delivery.
I love the fit and quality

Squeak

Visit site
Shires are brilliant - very reasonably priced and my horses have been bone dry even with torrential rain.

My amigo was useless... leaked like a sieve and their customer service said they were only designed to be showerproof.. humph

indie1282

Visit site
I've just bought my 2 in this morning - one has Weatherbeeta 1200d lightweight ( bone dry underneath) the other has Amigo 600d ( wet in patches underneath) I definitely think it's worth paying a bit more for a higher denier.

buzyizzy

Visit site
I have a Shires tempest combo, they do separate standard neck and covers. It kept him dry all last winter when I used it as a top rug, has been washed and reproofed and ready to go again. Four years old and cheap as chips. I never buy expensive rugs, not worth it IMO.

Fiona

Visit site

I'd definitely second ruggles, we've had both LW and MW and both have been exellent.

I also like PE buster 0g fill, and it might be a good time of year to spot them on sale so it comes within your budget...

Fiona

chaps89

Visit site
I love the rhino no fill that I had for my old boy. I have an amigo bravo 100g for madam as it was a bit cheaper than the rhino and actually that's been really good too.

JJS

Visit site
All of mine have a no fill Shires as a top rug (with liners to go underneath), and I can't recommend them highly enough. The oldest is now going into its fourth winter and is still perfectly waterproof, without any reproofing or repairs needed in that time.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Do Shires do a higher denier though? I thought they just make 600d rugs? I’ll have a look as I do quite like them.
I bought a ruggles once for my Shetland when he got a bit of rainscald and have to say it was really awful, not only leaked but didn’t appear to be even a bit waterproof. I do wonder if I had a dodgy one though as I see a lot of Ruggles fans!
I do like PE and may hold out until the sales perhaps.
The horse does actually fit into my old retired boys rugs which are all really good so I can swap and change for now.

Fransurrey

Visit site
Another Ruggles recommendation, here. My mare's 1200D lightweight is going into its 6th winter. She's a rubber, too, so it's put up with a LOT of abuse!

SEL

Visit site
I've got 3 Shires rugs in the garage which aren't waterproof any longer and don't seem to re-proof properly either. My mare's new Ruggle stood up to 10mm rain downpour on Sunday morning, so I think I'll pick the boy one up when they have their next sale

GemG

Visit site

Another vote for Ruggles 1200D .... great value and does the job. Just wish they did liner system !!! Come on Ruggles, get some made as I would buy them!

wingedhorse

Visit site
Another vote for Ruggles 1200D .... great value and does the job. Just wish they did liner system !!! Come on Ruggles, get some made as I would buy them!

Use PE / Rambo / Amigo etc liners in Ruggles rugs. Only really need to clip liners in at the back.