Pictures Best reason for teeth checks in young horses

Polos Mum

Visit site
Or maybe even more reason not to break them too young ? Or use bitless / headcollar for initial work

That looks like normal baby teeth changing which happens at just the age people consider backing - so TBH it's a once a week quick look yourself to make sure your not putting a bit in a mount that is changing.

My 4 y'o's gums were black at one point from 'normal' teeth changing bruises !

paddy555

Visit site
I havent seen a 'gag' like that before looks to be a great idea compared to the metal ones that keep the mouth open by sitting against the teeth

me neither. Any more info on it please, it appears to go round the head somehow.
Presumably pony was sedated

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My big backward ID is rising three and had a full dental a few weeks ago. He has a mixture of retained baby and emerging adult teeth whereas his mate who is one week older has a lovely set of adult clackers. He still manages a bale of hay a day bless him.

PurBee

Visit site
I never forget my young gelding while grooming him loving to bite the handle of 1 particular brush, which that day caused one of his front baby teeth to crack off and stick out towards me, with blood emerging.
I panicked as i rushed to google if this should happen! (was not familiar with teeth of youngsters)

It was fun from that day on wandering the yard to find teeth on the ground…he lost them all quite rapidly…and like human babies, was teething everything!

Nasicus

Visit site
My rising 4yo is still clinging onto a few baby teeth, it doesn't half look like they're taken a bat to the face when they're losing those front ones though!