Best riding boots for kids

Equi

Visit site
I have the use of a pony at the yard so i gave my friends kiddy a little lesson this week. Shes at the trotting stage about to get to canter but just needs more balance, and i think one of the issues is her boots. They are VERY bendy, so if shes unbalanced and curls her toes, the whole sole bends sending her forwards more. They are just cheap kids jod boots.

So her mum has agreed to get some different ones, but is thinking of mucker boots (so they can be used for other stuff...kids grow so fast and shoes that are only worn once a week may not get the use for the cost)

So that, or another pair of jod boots which would probably be similar in price? Whats going to not bend as much?

be positive

Visit site
First get her riding without stirrups, if she is that unbalanced in trot she is not ready to canter, whatever boots she has will not stop her toes curling or tensing up unless they are really stiff and tight which will cause other issues, a decent pair of joddy boots would be best if she is going to ride regularly.

Equi

Visit site
Yes i made her do that, and in future lessons she will do more. The riding school always have the stirrups FAR too short. I've went in myself and made them longer, for them to put them up again. Its infuriating! But i really think the boots are a problem too, they're like riding in ballet pumps lol

once, to possibly twice a week SOME weeks, is not really regular i feel..

RainbowDash

Visit site
I would suggest looking for second hand boots on the likes of ebay - you can get good branded leather jod boots or long boots on there for a fraction of the price new - ideal as little feet grow soo quickly.

pennandh

Visit site
Whats better long or short?

For small kids, jodhpur boots and chaps are better than long boots unless you can find a second-hand pair with pre-worn-in leather: it's much, much harder for a small person to drop their weight into their heels in long boots with stiff ankles.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
They are nice boots but they come up narrow so if child has wide feet she'll have trouble. I thought I was being clever buying 2 pairs in a sale but once my son had got to the relevant size he couldn't even get his feet in!

Great price boots though.

EmmasMummy

Visit site
How old are they? I took advantage of the fact DD has big feet like me and got her second hand mountain horse long boots. They are fab for her. She has tried the rubber ones, wellies and short ones but with those she can pull her heels up. The long boots stop her doing that somehow and her leg is more secure. Ok they were £70, but we look after them and once cleaned up they can be sold on when no longer needed.

SallyBatty

Visit site
They are nice boots but they come up narrow so if child has wide feet she'll have trouble. I thought I was being clever buying 2 pairs in a sale but once my son had got to the relevant size he couldn't even get his feet in!

Great price boots though.

Thanks for that. I was just thinking about getting them for my granddaughter but wont now.