Best roofing materials for stables

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
One of the first things we're going to need to do when we move is replace the roofing on the stables as the current roof is asbestos as are some of the internal panels. The panels have to be done straight away as quite a few are broken. The roof is currently in decent condition but the cost to get roof and panels removed together is quite a bit cheaper than getting them done separately so makes sense to get them done now.

So the question is - what to replace them with? Budget is reasonably healthy but not silly. Any ideas gratefully received.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
My last stables which were wooden had an Onduline roof. Despite the stables being in a very exposed site the roof lasted very well and gave no problems. Current stables which are block built have colour bonded steel which looks very smart but the steel was purchased before the price of building materials went skyward.

Bob notacob

Visit site
One of the first things we're going to need to do when we move is replace the roofing on the stables as the current roof is asbestos as are some of the internal panels. The panels have to be done straight away as quite a few are broken. The roof is currently in decent condition but the cost to get roof and panels removed together is quite a bit cheaper than getting them done separately so makes sense to get them done now.

So the question is - what to replace them with? Budget is reasonably healthy but not silly. Any ideas gratefully received.
I take it that the panels are not blue asbestos. nasty stuff. White asbestos (chrysotile) is not particularly dangerous as I understand. I wouldn't mess with it it, just leave it alone. But each to their own opinions. Onduline is only any good if laid over a boarded roof. Put on between joists ,it will sag and fail.

meleeka

Visit site
I have board and roofing felt on my flat roof stables and Onduline on my pitch roof barn. The other stable has fibre cement boards. I think that’s probably the most hardwearing out of the 3, but although also the most expensive, so largely depends on your budget.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
I take it that the panels are not blue asbestos. nasty stuff. White asbestos (chrysotile) is not particularly dangerous as I understand. I wouldn't mess with it it, just leave it alone. But each to their own opinions. Onduline is only any good if laid over a boarded roof. Put on between joists ,it will sag and fail.
The reason we’re changing the panels and the roof is the panels are broken and crumbling so need to be removed and disposed of. The roof is in an ok-ish condition but as we’re getting the asbestos removal people in for the panels, it’s cheaper to get the roof done at the same time rather than later

nutjob

Visit site
Onduline is only any good if laid over a boarded roof. Put on between joists ,it will sag and fail.
That's what happened to mine. It sort of melted in hot weather, sagged and was always leaking. It was replaced with plywood and roofing felt which was water tight but hotter afterwards. My wood stables then got infested with woodworm and had to be removed. I had them rebuilt with bricks and tiles which are much better but did cost a lot in comparison.

winnie

Visit site
Onduline on plywood has lasted us 30 plus years and still going strong. But onduline directly on rafters will soon sag judging from other people's stables. Also you need a steepish pitch if you decide not to put ply down first.

vhf

Visit site
We recently renovated the concrete asbestos roof on a small outbuilding. The asbestos was in good condition but the beams were rotting out and it constantly dripped with condensation inside. In the end the cheapest option was to keep the panels, replace the rotted woodwork and spray insulate the underside.
I couldn't be more pleased. We went with the minimum amount of spray (25mm) as I only wanted to stop the dripping and secure the asbestos. But now the shed is like a room. Stays an even temperature so was lovely and cool in the heatwave but feels warmer than outdoors when it's cold. No drips. And it's light coloured so the low roof is less oppressive. Wasn't cheap in itself, but was a lot cheaper than replacing the entire thing.
And you get a blizzard landscape on the ceiling!
Blizzard.jpg