Best saddle for a traditional cob?

Slrobo

Visit site
Hi I'm looking for recommendations for saddles for a traditional cob, she doesn't come with any tack, I'm up in the Staffordshire moorlands/peak district so of you know anywhere local or would come out that would be a bonus.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
What sort of saddle you looking for just an everyday one for hacking or are you looking to do a certain discipline?

I know a few people that show cobs they tend to use black country or Ideal and some use AH saddles which are made for the rounder native type.

Seen as she is new to you it would be better to find a fitter that carries a variety of saddles to try to see what would suit, someone might be along with some recommendations in your area.

Horsekaren

Visit site
I really like the Thorrowgood cob saddles, cheap, designed for our flat backed wide friends, they dont break the bank and if you want a fancy version you can look at the Kent and Masters Cob saddles which are the same, just leather.

Blossom117

New User
Visit site
I like my Barnsby GP on my cob. It has nice solid blocks as I do a fair bit of jumping. Other makes I found that fit well to cobs as mentioned above are Black Country (super comfy) and Ideal.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My old boy was a traddie cob with a short back and low withers; a nightmare to fit anything to!

Tried Wintec Wide: AWFUL, as unstable as a ship at sea and slid around like a turn on a dungheap.

Tried Thorowgood T4; only rode 30 mins down the road and I had to get off as I was so uncomfortable, luckily I'd borrowed it from a friend to try. Don't suppose it did the horse's back any good either!

The ONLY saddle (treed) that I found was a decent fit was a Lovatt & Ricketts GP, a very old one which I picked up less than £100 at a horsey car-boot. I had several saddle fittings and each time the saddle fitters (not the same each time) said what a good fit it was for him.

Old boy was PTS last autumn, bless his daft old socks, but I have a young traddie mare who would be a nightmare to fit if I went the "treed" route. I ride treeless - The "Tor" saddle which is made by Johan and Andrea of TreeFree saddles of Moretonhampstead in Devon: just right for my youngster and the most comfortable saddle I've ever ridden in! It doesn't put you wide like a lot of treeless saddles do and both my cobs like riding out in this saddle.

Someone has mentioned Andrea Hicks (AH Saddles); I've actually seen their local fitter for this area do a saddle fitting and I was impressed by her. Do be aware, if going a "search", that you actually DO get "AH saddles" and not another company which operates under a slightly different name but if you search native pony saddles and/or cob saddles they may come up! PM me if you want to know who specifically.......... a lot of other on-line horsey forums will give you the name of the set-up also....... enough said.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Definitely AH saddles - even if you get one of their saddle fitters out & then look for a second hand one as there is a brilliant facebook site "used native pony & cob saddles"
I would never compromise on saddle fit ever again!

Pippity

Visit site
Definitely AH saddles - even if you get one of their saddle fitters out & then look for a second hand one as there is a brilliant facebook site "used native pony & cob saddles"
I would never compromise on saddle fit ever again!

If you can get one of their fitters out... I gave up after two weeks of leaving messages and getting no response.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
If you can get one of their fitters out... I gave up after two months of leaving messages and getting no response.

Ive had an extremely proficient & highly professional service from Steph Bloom - she posts on here so Im sure will give feedback to HQ re your issues.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
If you can get one of their fitters out... I gave up after two weeks of leaving messages and getting no response.

I'm so sorry, we have a new fitter for the north of England and she had a very tough time with various issues including being ill herself. I would recommend trying her once more, and if you can't get hold of her then let HQ know, they need to know.

I will say that for any saddle fitter phone or email is generally more helpful than FB, although the worst, which you clearly haven't done, is commenting on a thread asking for contact. People don't realise how hard it is to keep on top of them when you're on the road :)

Ive had an extremely proficient & highly professional service from Steph Bloom - she posts on here so Im sure will give feedback to HQ re your issues.

Thank you very much :)

OP if you have any specific questions I'm glad to help.

Pippity

Visit site
I'm so sorry, we have a new fitter for the north of England and she had a very tough time with various issues including being ill herself. I would recommend trying her once more, and if you can't get hold of her then let HQ know, they need to know.

I will say that for any saddle fitter phone or email is generally more helpful than FB, although the worst, which you clearly haven't done, is commenting on a thread asking for contact. People don't realise how hard it is to keep on top of them when you're on the road :)

I'll have another go in a few years when, hopefully, her shape's stabilised enough to make getting a nice saddle worthwhile. She's gone up three width fittings in three months, so I'm dreading what she'll end up as!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The one thing I will say is that if you start off with the flattest tree the horse can take, and make sure the panel is sympathetic (short and low at the back where necessary) the saddle will last longer as the horse widens. Horses get flatter as they get wider, whereas saddles get fractionally curvier as you widen them. So the starting point can be really important, plus of course the ability to adjust onsite. Some fitters don't believe in adjusting wooden trees at all but plenty of us have been doing it, carefully and within limits, for years with no issues.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Whatever you like - my heavyweight is in an equipe Olympia for dressage and an Albion k2 for jumping (v occasionally!) he also has a bespoke suede fylde Hayden for the show ring (now that’s a beautiful saddle) ... I don’t find the cob hard to fit tbh...