Best saddle for level backed horse?

Matafleur

Visit site
Hello,

Can people with horses with flat backs tell me what saddle they use please?

I have a 4yr old KWPN that I need a new jumping saddle for, the saddler came today and said that she has an exceptionally level back rather than dipped like a lot of horses. Whilst this shows my schooling is paying off it is a nightmare for saddle fitting!

She is a good medium to medium- wide and when she works she rounds so much that saddles tend to be pushed off her back. We tried a pessoa that was nice on her but I wasn't overly keen, also tried a jeffries and a CTD (cheaper stubben) among others but they either didn't fit her or didn't suit me.

I need something quite secure but also jumping up to around 1.10 eventually. I am used to a close contact jump saddle but I'd like something that is comfortable for hacking and hunting too this time!

I'm hoping people can give me some ideas and then we can go away and try a few more.
Thankies!
smile.gif

vallin

Visit site
I had a nightmare time finding a saddle for my mare who has a ridiculously flat back. I ended up buying a second hand Anky dressage saddle, wouldn't have been my first choice as I'm not a dressage rider, however it fits her beautifully and has been used for SJ/XC/hacking regularly with no problems and is incredibly comfortable! Vx

Matafleur

Visit site
You jump in it?
crazy.gif
You are far braver than I am!

I've had several near death experiences jumping in dressage saddles, I'm not keen to repeat them!
shocked.gif

vallin

Visit site
i can't say Ive ever had any problems jumping in dressage saddles, and my horse defiantly isn't the calmest of things! and we jump 3ft plus regulaly lol I actually really like jumping in it as it seems to give her more freedom in the shoulder. Each to there own though!