Best saddle to allow for big shoulder movement?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Well some experience here:)

One of my liveries has a shire cross, and she had an Ideal made for her, it gradually over the months started slipping back as **** has a massive shoulder stride. She had the saddle altered a few months later , worked for a while then the same problem started again..

Year later Ideal no use change to a Barnsby which fitted better.
When she text me back, I will check which she has now as this one now works well.

Last edited:

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi she has a Cliff Barnsby jumping saddle and an Ideal dressage saddle

she had
Ideal - Black Country - Albion gp in past , none of those were any good.

Hope that helps:)

Shadster

Visit site
Wow saddles are good for big shoulders as the front of them moves laterally with the shoulder movement so as not to block the horse.

Jesstiggs

Visit site
If you dont mind Wintecs, i have the "wintec wide" on my boy who has big shoulder movements, my saddlers recommended this as it has the cut back panels which allow for the movement

Hope this helps

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
I've got a very tall and wide Irish Draft x that has a massive shoulder movement. Just bought a fully adjustable Keiffer GP and couldnt be happier. Not as forward cut in the flaps as other GP's so allows for my boy's rather extravagant movement. Extremely comfortable to ride in too.
Not the cheapest option but at least I know I can adjust it to grow with him.
Keiffer will also custom make to suit (as they did for me) for usually no extra charge.

kezimac

Visit site
i have a wow for my KS horse - able to have a nice wide gullet to avoid spinal processes, and the lateral flexion in the head so it moves with shoulders. Love it.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Mine has a very active shoulder, he's in a WOW which is good as the shoulder blade can go under the flap rather than jam up against it like some saddles. They are expensive, but I got mine by buying 2nd hand parts to make it up ;)