Best small tow car

molar roller

Visit site
Subaru Outback 3,0 gasoline 2004-2008...which is better than 2.5 because 2.5 has some cronic problems like engine overheating etc. also 3.0 has timing chain (you do not have to change it) , 2.5 has timing belt you must change it periodically.

Subaru Forester 2003 and newer, (but not 2.5 liter gasoline, 2,0 is better)

Bonus : also try to find a LPG fitted Cherooke 1999-01 XJ 4.0 (not ''grand'', just cherokee, boxy ones) Grand Cherokee is tristy and has a lot of cronic problems bu Cherokee XJ 4.0 is bulletproof, but I know this car is not for everyone :)

also I agree @riversideeu , Santa fe is another good choice.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
Hi again everyone,

I’m 99% certain I’d like a Kia Ceed Sports wagen.

There are two options available, the 1.4 and 1.6. Both have the same kerb weight of 1400kg and towing capacity of 1500kg.

The only difference I can see is the BHP and the engine torque.

The 1.4 has 89 bhp and 162 lbs/ft torque and the 1.6 has 126 bhp and 192 lbs/ft torque.

Would this make much of a difference towing wise?

If you are set on this car, then the 1.6 would definitely be the best option. More power and more torque are of course going to be better for towing!

LaurenBobby

Visit site
Thank you AandK, not 100% set but these seem like the best fuel efficiency and you can pick them up within my budget :)

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally wouldn’t tow with an engine size lower than a 2.0ltre and Bhp under 100. I just can’t see how that would be up to it.

Same here. Ive been researching an economical 4x4 for towing my double Bateson trailer with 1 horse in to replace my current Freelander. Ive finally decided on a Kia Sportage 2.0. Im sure you could potentially get away with less but I personally didnt want to be on the edge when towing.

LaurenBobby

Visit site
Same here. Ive been researching an economical 4x4 for towing my double Bateson trailer with 1 horse in to replace my current Freelander. Ive finally decided on a Kia Sportage 2.0. Im sure you could potentially get away with less but I personally didnt want to be on the edge when towing.

Hi, what year car are you looking at? Quite like the look of those :) but different years have different bhp

Northern

Visit site
Subaru Outback 3,0 gasoline 2004-2008...which is better than 2.5 because 2.5 has some cronic problems like engine overheating etc. also 3.0 has timing chain (you do not have to change it) , 2.5 has timing belt you must change it periodically.

Subaru Forester 2003 and newer, (but not 2.5 liter gasoline, 2,0 is better)

Bonus : also try to find a LPG fitted Cherooke 1999-01 XJ 4.0 (not ''grand'', just cherokee, boxy ones) Grand Cherokee is tristy and has a lot of cronic problems bu Cherokee XJ 4.0 is bulletproof, but I know this car is not for everyone :)

also I agree @riversideeu , Santa fe is another good choice.

I tow with a 2005 Subaru Outback, 2.5L. It has done a phenomenal job so far, has not let me down once. I tow perhaps once a month locally, but have also taken it on a 500km round trip and it never missed a beat. Tow capacity is 1.5T and with my float and horse I'm towing around 1.25T, comfortably within the capacity. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect it to tow long distances weekly, but it does a great job for my requirements and meant I didn't have to go and get a new car for towing because I use it as my get around car too :D

MagicMelon

Visit site
Hi, what year car are you looking at? Quite like the look of those :) but different years have different bhp

Im looking at 2012's with max 40/50k miles - CRDi KX-2's or KX-3's (KX-3 just has more bells and whistles and isnt much different in price), manual tows 2000kg (auto's tow less). They're around £10k. The 2016 ones tow 2200kg but I cant afford one of those ;)

Last edited: