Best 'soft' chaff?

JustKickOn

Visit site
Afternoon all

As per title, although soft probably isn't the right word!

My mare currently has Dengie Alfa-A, however I am looking to change to a softer chaff, with shorter fibres and without the longer, tougher stalks that are in the Alfa-A.

I'm currently leaning towards the Spillers Senior Fibre, as I have seen a sample of this chaff and it would also be beneficial to have the glucoasamine in there!
However, Dengie HiFi with Apple is also a nice short fibre and appetising too?

Any suggestions? It's for a horse who has diastemas forming, so the shorter and softer the fibre the better, as they will get lodged less easily.

Many thanks

HorsesandParrots

Visit site
I got topspec lite chaff for my elder mare and she coped well with that.
Saracan do a nice 'slim' chaff that has a few nuts in and is quite cheap and very shortly chopped :) They feed that where I work and the older ones manage fine x

Jazmyn101

Visit site
Dengie hi-fi apple really isn't that soft, I have used spillers cool fibre before which is nice and soft and has some nuts in. Mollichaff is also an option as it's very soft but I would never feed my horse mollichaff as it's far too high in sugar!

JustKickOn

Visit site
I think the spillers chaff is going to be my first to try, as it's lovely and loose.

Another at our yard does have the dengie apple chaff, and it has nice short fibres and is far softer than the Alfa A she currently has.

I will pop an email to topspec and Saracen too to see if they can send me a small sample bag just to check what they offer is like.

The mollichaff is just far too sugary so sefinitely won't be feeding that!

Thank you :)

Milkmaid

Visit site
Agrobs do Pre Alpin Senior Chaff which is chopped to a length horses naturally chew to so no problem if they have trouble chewing apparently ☺
It's a blend of their soft grasses that are chosen to be beneficial to senior neddies. Smells Gorgeous!
Dengie senior is nice and soft but I don't like to feed molasses, rape oil or mould inhibtors which it contains.