Best stable door bolt for an expert equine escapologist?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
At the moment we have a kick bolt and a simple draw bolt at the top. It took him a day to learn how to kick the door gently in just the right way, and the simple draw bolt at the top took minutes to figure out.

Can anyone recommend a mensa level draw bolt, or somewhere I can buy one of those catches with a pin on a hinge and a chain I can use on the draw bolt. I've got a friend who is going to lend me a quit kick for a while but on a livery yard there's always a risk it will run dry, batteries run down, forget to switch it on etc.

He is happy in his stable and has good neighbours but enjoys attention and likes to go fetch help if his haynet starts to run low. Luckily if he escapes you simply have to sternly tell him to get back in, and he generally does. 3 escapes this week mean I need to up my game.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Hard to explain, but I have a draw bolt with a drop plate that even our genius escapologist stallion couldn't figure out. Neither can half of the human population, but that's another matter....

I think thats what i want, is it the sort where you have to lift and line up a plate hidden in the end of the lock, before you can draw back the bolt? I can't figure out how to Google it. I tried equestrian websites with no luck.

HashRouge

Visit site
The ones people have linked to definitely keep horses in and people out! I had a bit of trouble the first time I had to open one!
The best ones are the inset spring locks you get on stables like Monarch. I don't really know how to describe them and I can't find any good photos, but there is no way at all a horse could open it, yet they are pretty easy once you know how they work!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
A headcollar clip through the eye holes on the top bolt. Cheap and fail safe.
Has been recommended but after another horse on the yard tried to remove the same arrangement and accidentally gave herself a lip piercing, I'm happy to spend on something more challenging.

The bolts are so wide I could only fit the fold back clips, and it doesn't close when in the bolt.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I should add, a broken riding whip, stuck firmly in the holes amymay mentioned was surprisingly successful. The whip was stuck up and firmly wedged in. It was close to the stable wall so difficult for him to grip and remove. He'd get it out eventually and leave it outside the stable door for us.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I would never use a headcollar rope clip, they are notorious for giving horses piercings. I won't even have them for headcollar ropes, or god forbid those water buckets that hang on the wall.

With Charlie horse we at one time used a combination padlock. The combination can be written on the outside wall in case of fire. Even Charlie horse was not THAT clever. Although, his was not for his door, his was to attach the water bucket to the wall.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Never ever use a headcollar clip! 😨

The drop plate bolt can still be opened by a dexterous horse or pony once they work it out, hence why I suggest a simple bolt on the inside too. Had to use both on a section c entire that managed to work out the drop bolt but couldn't manage the internal draw bolt!

OP, also reset the kick bolt hanger plate so it's a little lower, that can stop it being flicked up by door being kicked.

paddy555

Visit site
Never ever use a headcollar clip! 😨

The drop plate bolt can still be opened by a dexterous horse or pony once they work it out, hence why I suggest a simple bolt on the inside too. Had to use both on a section c entire that managed to work out the drop bolt but couldn't manage the internal draw bolt!

OP, also reset the kick bolt hanger plate so it's a little lower, that can stop it being flicked up by door being kicked.

yes I have one that can open the drop plate bolt. We resolved that by screwing a strip of wood on top of the bolt. That meant it wasn't so easy to get his teeth and lips in to fiddle with it.

Otherwise

Visit site
My stable has a normal bolt at the bottom instead of a kick bolt. Bit more of a faff but on the plus side no horse can reach it and you can't accidentally lock yourself in.

Carrottom

Visit site
My stable has a normal bolt at the bottom instead of a kick bolt. Bit more of a faff but on the plus side no horse can reach it and you can't accidentally lock yourself in.
Or you could add a normal bolt half-way down, assuming you don't own a giraffe.