Best string alternative for tying up to lorry?

catembi

Visit site
I don't really like the look of bits of string, and find that non-twine string tends to rot/go weak v quickly whereas twine is a no no and thinned twine still looks untidy & it's difficult to know how much to thin it by. I have seen the re-usable plastic tie up clips that will ping under tension, but some reviews say they ping too easily.

The horse doesn't pull back so I'm not trying to solve a problem. I just want something that will hold him if he spies a nice patch of grass, will release him if he has a proper panic & looks nicer than string...

Fiona

Visit site
Thinned twine definitely works for me.....

I've never seen a reuseable clip or quick release clip/trailer tie that didn't have negative reviews..

Fiona

vhf

Visit site
I'm trialling cable ties... after 8 months, all I can report is that the one I put up is still there, still looks tidy and horse hasn't got loose. Paragon mare hasn't tested it and I'm too chicken to risk the loony tunes one! :rolleyes:

Cowpony

Visit site
Mine "never" pulls back when tied up, but she's broken the thinned twine on my lorry twice recently :). Once when we were the first to arrive at a venue and she decided to go and talk to the horses in the field next door, as there weren't any in the lorry park. The second time I'd put her bandages and pads on the ramp, ready to put them on, and the wind blew them off the ramp towards her, so that was a "proper" panic :eek:

Alibear

Visit site
My trailer came with two of the altnertive ties already on it and neither has been pinged so far. But then my mare hasn't really tested them either, she's leant on them to reach grass etc and they've been fine, but no sudden tugs. I'm happy with them.

catembi

Visit site
Yeah, that’s the thing, they all have -ve reviews! And the only way to test them is to test them...! So if anyone sees a buckskin QH loose in a lorry park, you’ll know it’s me testing string alternatives!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Might try the cable ties. Just wasted silly money on two of those Idolo ties - couldn't find any negative reviews - well, mine, who isn't a puller or breaker just walked a few steps and was free. And I was using it correctly!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Are cable ties not really strong? I use them for fixing fences and such.
I was going to look into this myself after a disaster today in which my horse, tied to a fence on my yard via a tie ring and thinned twine tied to follow me off the yard, freaked out (I had another horse and hose pipe going so couldn’t get back in time) the fence gave way tf at the same time as the string but could have been a very different ending if the string had held a second longer :(

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I was talking to a saddler last year, and I mentioned this problem, and also the problem of leaving a horse in a field with a head collar, the risk of it getting snagged.

She suggested trying wide velcro.

Brownmare

Visit site
Are cable ties not really strong? I use them for fixing fences and such.
I was going to look into this myself after a disaster today in which my horse, tied to a fence on my yard via a tie ring and thinned twine tied to follow me off the yard, freaked out (I had another horse and hose pipe going so couldn’t get back in time) the fence gave way tf at the same time as the string but could have been a very different ending if the string had held a second longer :(
Actually I find they break at exactly the right moment and are far more reliable than baler twine. I do have one horse who I tie straight to the ring because he has learnt to pull back just hard enough to break free and attempt to sneak into the feed room!

Blurr

Visit site
Idolo tether ties. You do need the right rope, though. Regular lead ropes will just pull through.

HLOEquestrian

Visit site
I've used the thinner cable ties for years, they do break very easily, if I had a horse that learnt they could pull back and break the tie frequently I would use two at once

cundlegreen

Visit site
I don't really like the look of bits of string, and find that non-twine string tends to rot/go weak v quickly whereas twine is a no no and thinned twine still looks untidy & it's difficult to know how much to thin it by. I have seen the re-usable plastic tie up clips that will ping under tension, but some reviews say they ping too easily.

The horse doesn't pull back so I'm not trying to solve a problem. I just want something that will hold him if he spies a nice patch of grass, will release him if he has a proper panic & looks nicer than string...
Rubber bungee...