Best supplement for arthritis

Visit site
Just thinking ahead for when GrayMo starts coming in overnight. What is the best supplement for arthritis? He has a touch in a hind fetlock due to an old injury now and I thought I would go down the supplement route first before medicating.

hock

Visit site
I’m on nutrquinn plus. I’ll be honest I’ve no idea if it works but my horse is no worse. I’m very on the hedge with supplements and currently I’ve got so much going on I haven’t really got the time to look into it properly. So I cover all bases with that and a feed balancer.
Will follow your thread with interest though.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
I've been using "buteless" (it's mostly boswellia and turmeric I think?) but i haven't noticed any change. We've now moved to Danilon.

Ps apparently you can't mix devil's claw with bute. I only say that because I had no idea until the vet told me, and a lot of arthritis supplements contain devil's claw, and a lot of arthritic horses have some bute!

Melandmary

Visit site
I started feeding linseed to a 26 year old mare I have as a companion loan. Not sure if it is that or the 24/7 turnout but she couldn't get up without a struggle when she first came ( hock arthritis) and so rarely did lay down. These days she is quite often dirty from rolling and looks fab so I think it is helping. Turmeraid I tried but didn't feel it helped at all

Equi

Visit site
I know it’s pricy but me and my vet both saw a massive difference in my lad on silence supplements flex professional. When he died I started giving it to my little mare who has hock arthritis and she was back to being a bouncy bronc in days. The main difference in the flex and professional is boswellia but there are many other things in it that target inflammation etc. Because mare is so wee a tub lasts for ages with her ?

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Just thinking ahead for when GrayMo starts coming in overnight. What is the best supplement for arthritis? He has a touch in a hind fetlock due to an old injury now and I thought I would go down the supplement route first before medicating.

My mare had Arthritis I were told She would need to stay on Danilon for life by the vet
Mine were on Cortiflex but so expensive and such large daily quantity.

Then I contacted Equimins

David said

If you have lubrication you don't have pain
If you don't have pain you don't need a painkiller

I was sceptical but.

I started to wean my mare off Danilon by half each day as she was on two a day, day by day I saw no difference coming off bute (No lameness)

Vet came for a check up 6 weeks later: She said she was sound and comfortable - I then broke the news she was off Danilon, she was amazed.

It is all I would use as I have seen the difference in

1. Dogs x 2
  2. my Horses x 4
  3. Donkeys x 1
  4. Liveries x 8
The dosage is also less than Cortiflex so my purse appreciates the benefit too.

Now like all horses are different and the degree of help is to the individual - but they give you a money back guarantee if it does not work, and IMO it is worth a try. I won't use any other joint supplement now - one of the key ingredients is shark cartilage which you don't find in any other supplement (as far as I am aware). Normally against animal by products like cod liver oil, but when the needs is a MUST then I will use it.

Take a look at some of the reviews https://www.equimins-online.com/en/all-products/46-equimins-flexijoint-cartilage-supplement.html

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Interesting re the lubrication because my boy has had a full course of Cartrophen with a top up every 3 months and he still needs the Danilon. I have just got a new box but will give the Equimins a go instead and if it works am happy to swap to a supplement.

PurBee

Visit site
My mare had Arthritis I were told She would need to stay on Danilon for life by the vet
Mine were on Cortiflex but so expensive and such large daily quantity.

Then I contacted Equimins

David said

I was sceptical but.

I started to wean my mare off Danilon by half each day as she was on two a day, day by day I saw no difference coming off bute (No lameness)

Vet came for a check up 6 weeks later: She said she was sound and comfortable - I then broke the news she was off Danilon, she was amazed.

It is all I would use as I have seen the difference in

1. Dogs x 2
  2. my Horses x 4
  3. Donkeys x 1
  4. Liveries x 8
The dosage is also less than Cortiflex so my purse appreciates the benefit too.

Now like all horses are different and the degree of help is to the individual - but they give you a money back guarantee if it does not work, and IMO it is worth a try. I won't use any other joint supplement now - one of the key ingredients is shark cartilage which you don't find in any other supplement (as far as I am aware). Normally against animal by products like cod liver oil, but when the needs is a MUST then I will use it.

Take a look at some of the reviews https://www.equimins-online.com/en/all-products/46-equimins-flexijoint-cartilage-supplement.html

Cartilage is primarily made of collagen - collagen can only be made in the body if there’s adequate vitamin C. Vit C is a nutrient not generously added to many horse foods.
Glucosamine and chondroitin is also part of the cellular matrix of cartilage, so worth trying.

I would use collagen and vit C - to help boost the system - i think vit c is a large aspect of why arthritic horses do best as grazers turned out - not only does the exercise aid movement but mainly fresh grass has lots of vit C - and in winter fresh grass is limited causing the arthritic ones to suffer more.

The equimims supplement contains glucosamin, chondroitin and vit c, so those are more than likely the prime ingredients combined aiding joint cartilage regeneration, rather than the addition of shark cartilage.

I personally would prefer supplementing a beef by-product of collagen, to built the cartilage from its building blocks, than support shark fin fishing for its cartilage, which is a barbaric industry, always fishing illegally, affecting severely large numbers of endangered sharks and caused the extinction of some - 10’s of thousands per year are hauled alive onto decks of boats, all fins cut off whilst alive, and then thrown overboard alive and finless to sink to the bottom dying slowly bleeding-out on their way down.

I never realised it was as barbaric as it is until seeing Gordon Ramsey’s documentary about fin fishing. I’ve supported cartilage products from sharks before knowing more. One you know and see, you cant unknow/unsee. Some things are too barbaric to turn a blind eye to IMO.

The beef industry has its issues but at least the cuts of meat arent cut off while theyre alive, and every part of the animal, including the bones for collagen making are used, the skin for leather, a quick death etc.

Collagen is the major lubrication cellular matrix of cartilage. Vit C is needed to make collagen. Horses should generate this themselves, a bit like cats - but aging self-generators of vit C struggle with producing enough in older years. Try giving orange slices to your horse, they gobble them up, loving the tangy vit C. Helps the joints so much.

Griffin

Visit site
I have always had good results with Feedmark joint supplements with various horses with arthritis. They are not the cheapest but do seem to work.

Wizpop

Visit site
I was given a trial of a product called Bosmerix from vet. Amongst other things, it contains Boswellia and curcumin. We have had success with this as have others. My vet described it as the alternative to “No Bute” which he said didn’t work. I’m now buying the Bosmerix from vet although it can be bought online.

SO1

Visit site
Slightly off topic but I just bought marine collagen and vitamin c supplement from H&B for myself and am horrified at the thought it might have shark in it that could have killed in this way I thought it was made off bi products of fish that had been caught for food and that it was using up waste.

Cartilage is primarily made of collagen - collagen can only be made in the body if there’s adequate vitamin C. Vit C is a nutrient not generously added to many horse foods.
Glucosamine and chondroitin is also part of the cellular matrix of cartilage, so worth trying.

I would use collagen and vit C - to help boost the system - i think vit c is a large aspect of why arthritic horses do best as grazers turned out - not only does the exercise aid movement but mainly fresh grass has lots of vit C - and in winter fresh grass is limited causing the arthritic ones to suffer more.

The equimims supplement contains glucosamin, chondroitin and vit c, so those are more than likely the prime ingredients combined aiding joint cartilage regeneration, rather than the addition of shark cartilage.

I personally would prefer supplementing a beef by-product of collagen, to built the cartilage from its building blocks, than support shark fin fishing for its cartilage, which is a barbaric industry, always fishing illegally, affecting severely large numbers of endangered sharks and caused the extinction of some - 10’s of thousands per year are hauled alive onto decks of boats, all fins cut off whilst alive, and then thrown overboard alive and finless to sink to the bottom dying slowly bleeding-out on their way down.

I never realised it was as barbaric as it is until seeing Gordon Ramsey’s documentary about fin fishing. I’ve supported cartilage products from sharks before knowing more. One you know and see, you cant unknow/unsee. Some things are too barbaric to turn a blind eye to IMO.

The beef industry has its issues but at least the cuts of meat arent cut off while theyre alive, and every part of the animal, including the bones for collagen making are used, the skin for leather, a quick death etc.

Collagen is the major lubrication cellular matrix of cartilage. Vit C is needed to make collagen. Horses should generate this themselves, a bit like cats - but aging self-generators of vit C struggle with producing enough in older years. Try giving orange slices to your horse, they gobble them up, loving the tangy vit C. Helps the joints so much.

Auslander

Visit site
I@m on the fence about joint supplements - tried loads of them, and only really noticed a difference with one. However, ever optimistic, I'm going to have a try of Equimins Inflamerase, as it's got a fair few things in it that I think will help. He already has Cartrophen injections and a low dose of bute, but if I can phase out the bute, that'd be great. If it doesn't help, he can go back on the bute to keep him as creak free as possible!

atropa

Visit site
I use Feedmark Best Flex.
It has decent levels of Vit C in it, as well as Boswellia, alongside a lot of others.
I moved onto it from the Feedmark Extraflex and saw a marked improvement with it.

GrassChop

Visit site
I@m on the fence about joint supplements - tried loads of them, and only really noticed a difference with one. However, ever optimistic, I'm going to have a try of Equimins Inflamerase, as it's got a fair few things in it that I think will help. He already has Cartrophen injections and a low dose of bute, but if I can phase out the bute, that'd be great. If it doesn't help, he can go back on the bute to keep him as creak free as possible!

Can I ask what one you found to work previously please?

HashRouge

Visit site

I'm being thick - does that mean the Equimins doesn't contain anything shark related? Because I'm tempted to give it a go, but not if it involves any cruelty to animals.

PurBee

Visit site
Slightly off topic but I just bought marine collagen and vitamin c supplement from H&B for myself and am horrified at the thought it might have shark in it that could have killed in this way I thought it was made off bi products of fish that had been caught for food and that it was using up waste.

You’re ok - marine collagen is sourced as a bi product from fish - collagen extracted from fish scales and skin mostly, that are caught for the fish eating industry. Not sharks or whales.

Collagen is not cartilage - so if a product contains cartilage it will be listed in the ingredients as ‘cartilage’ (they may or may not say the source of the cartilage if shark fin cartilage receives periods of mainstream bad media attention it could be dropped from the label, so you’d have to enquire the source of cartilage with the makers of any supplement just listing ‘cartilage’ on their product)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

There is a lot of cruelty going on calves taken off their mothers early - lobsters boiled alive - dolphins clubbed to death - wales killed for their meat. I personally will stick to what I am using as i se no reason to change. OP has the info from us and they can do with it what they feel is right. Right or wrong in the making of this product. I like the Collagen from Pharma horse

PurBee

Visit site
I'm being thick - does that mean the Equimins doesn't contain anything shark related? Because I'm tempted to give it a go, but not if it involves any cruelty to animals.

Equimins do a few joint supplements - not all of them contain shark fin cartilage - this one posted up thread of theirs does:

https://www.equimins-online.com/en/all-products/46-equimins-flexijoint-cartilage-supplement.html

They list it on their ingredients list so you can check.

The laws regarding shark fin fishing are strict - to cull the animal and then remove the fins, and bring back the body, so the fins total on board the boat tally with the amount of bodies caught, of which there is a limit on the number they are allowed to cull.
Because shark fins are a ’gourmet’ ingredient in some cultural cuisines, they demand high prices. Like caviar. So fishermen can get a huge amount of profit for this particular fish commodity, which results in huge corruption in the industry by over-fishing the quota, and also just cutting the fins off live sharks - throwing them overboard alive - as the weight of their huge bodies on board would reduce the amount of fins they can carry, hence why the cull has become barbaric to eye-watering levels.
Retailers of the fins behave just as shady, doing deals direct with fishermen, obfuscating official port protocols - they have warehouses full of illegally obtained shark fins, stacked by the thousands.
Local people get in on it by making a good wage drying shark fins on their rooftop homes, unable to be seen by anyone.

There’s even ‘under the counter’ fins can be bought from fin shops - fins from critically endangered very rare shark species, that are completely illegal to fish for.

The trouble is, because the industry is so rife with corruption you will never ever be able to know if the cartilage product youre buying is from a legally fished shark culled humanely before having its fins removed or from a shark barbarically maimed that had ALL its fins removed while alive, and lobbed back into the ocean to bleed-out, unable to swim, and sink to its death.

Gordon ramseys full docu about it is here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gordon-Ramsay-Shark-Bait/dp/B07M7LGC8

A clip from the docu - in 9 yrs 60% of the shark population reduced - WARNING - a portion of GRAPHIC CONTENT OF LIVE FIN COLLECTING MANY COULD FIND UPSETTING:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

PurBee

Visit site
There is a lot of cruelty going on calves taken off their mothers early - lobsters boiled alive - dolphins clubbed to death - wales killed for their meat. I personally will stick to what I am using as i se no reason to change. OP has the info from us and they can do with it what they feel is right. Right or wrong in the making of this product. I like the Collagen from Pharma horse

True, there’s a lot of unnecessary animal cruelty happening, and one we become aware of it we can make informed ethical decisions to reject an industry. Or not, it depends on personal ethical/moral barometer of each individual.

These industries exist because of demand from consumers - if consumer demand drops, the product supply chain is reduced, therefore reducing cruelty.
Supply and demand IS the epicentre of all business - if the demand isnt there, they have no-one to sell to so vastly reduces these cruel practices.
People think they cant do anything to change animal cruelty practices but its us the people that have ALL the power, via our money. All industries want our money, and if we dont give it to those that carry out animal cruelty practices, they simply stop supplying that ‘product’ and move to another product to sell to us to get our money.
What we buy and who we give our money to is a very powerful method of saying to cruelty-based industries “No!”

I’m aware there’s a lot of ignorance about how many ingredients are obtained, its not like they advertise their corrupt practices! I had no idea about cartilage products being so cruelty-based until very recently and could easily have been supplementing my horses or myself on it.
There’s always plenty of alternative foods/ingredients to choose from, so its not like we’ve got no choice but to support cruelty.

Plenty of folk on the th*ndRbr*oks feed thread aborted buying from them due to a worker of the business being a sexual perv - nothing to do with faulty cruelty obtained products - thats the freedom and power WE have as consumers - it can sink or swim a company - we can also together sink an industry based on cruelty practices - because we have choices, we can always support with our buying choices great cruelty-free ingredients and businesses.