Best sweet itch rug for short stocky cob?

aradiagreen

Visit site
Hi,

I own a 13.2hh heavyweight cob. He's just come back off loan overweight & with severe sweet itch (although loaner's vet repeatedly treated him for mites. My vet immediately diagnosed text book severe sweet itch across his mane,tail,belly & face!)

Anyway he takes 5'9" rugs cuz he's built like a small tank. I have a shires combo s.itch rug but it's tight across his chest & round his neck whilst also too long for his neck. I bough a premier equine superlite fly rug (b4 u say it I know he needs a proper s.itch rug) but it's ridiculously short in the body (doesn't cover his tummy) & long in the neck (it hangs over his face!). I even tried it on my arab x but had the same problems though not as severe. I'm gutted as I was hoping to get hold of a premier equine s.itch hoody as they seemed to be such good quality.

I'm now awaiting a snuggy hoods s.itch rug & hood & a de meulenkamp s.itch rug in the hopes one of them will fit.

Can anyone recommend a sweet itch rug that might actually fit him?! Before I waste any more money!

Walrus

Visit site
Derby house fly rugs fit my 13.1hh fell, also mark Todd.

Sorry, seen you need proper sweet itch rugs, I think Derby house do thicker versions of their standard fly rugs.

dollyanna

Visit site
My little fell is only 13hh, measures 5'9" but wears a 6ft fake boett - it's made by Best on Horse but is the same as the equitheme ones. I get 6ft because of the sheer size of her shoulders and barrel (and she's not fat, just very wide) and it fits very nicely although not deep. Just got a 6ft snuggyhoods but not tried it on yet, can feedback on that later today hopefully!

aradiagreen

Visit site
My little fell is only 13hh, measures 5'9" but wears a 6ft fake boett - it's made by Best on Horse but is the same as the equitheme ones. I get 6ft because of the sheer size of her shoulders and barrel (and she's not fat, just very wide) and it fits very nicely although not deep. Just got a 6ft snuggyhoods but not tried it on yet, can feedback on that later today hopefully!

Oh dear I've got a 5'9 snuggy hoods & de meulenkamp rugs coming. I should probably have got 6ft.

Leo Walker

Visit site
The snuggy hoods are fab! They are stretchy and incredibly forgiving fit wise. Mine was a big lump of a fat cob who wore 6ft3/6ft6 and the 6ft3 snuggy hoods was fine. Fitted really well and I prefered it to the Boett etc he had. I did buy a Rambo sweetitch rug to use when it was raining, as its made of mesh so didnt get soaked, whereas everything else seemed to :)

aradiagreen

Visit site
The snuggy hoods are fab! They are stretchy and incredibly forgiving fit wise. Mine was a big lump of a fat cob who wore 6ft3/6ft6 and the 6ft3 snuggy hoods was fine. Fitted really well and I prefered it to the Boett etc he had. I did buy a Rambo sweetitch rug to use when it was raining, as its made of mesh so didnt get soaked, whereas everything else seemed to :)

Oh thanks, that makes me feel better.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My traddie cob wears a Rambo SI hoody. Haven't found anything else that fits TBH.

Did buy a Pagony rug some years ago (supposed to be similar to Boett only cheaper). VERY disappointing, quality was rubbish, seams only single-stitched. Horse got foot caught up in the elastic fastening in the end and so I chucked it. It didn't ever fit him properly anyway, was awful.

Dunno whether Premier Equine ones any good? Mine has worn theirs in the past and they've fitted OK. Am not sure whether they've got any left at this point in the season..............

Spreebok

Visit site
My stocky cob mare wears a snuggyhoods, she's 6ft in rugs and a 6ft snuggyhood rug suits her well. Possibly a teeny bit tight on the neck/shoulders (of the rug itself, don't use the neck as it's only for flies), but it would be easy enough to add a dart in to widen it if needed, and I know snuggyhoods do alterations themselves.

aradiagreen

Visit site
My traddie cob wears a Rambo SI hoody. Haven't found anything else that fits TBH.

Did buy a Pagony rug some years ago (supposed to be similar to Boett only cheaper). VERY disappointing, quality was rubbish, seams only single-stitched. Horse got foot caught up in the elastic fastening in the end and so I chucked it. It didn't ever fit him properly anyway, was awful.

Dunno whether Premier Equine ones any good? Mine has worn theirs in the past and they've fitted OK. Am not sure whether they've got any left at this point in the season..............

I tried a premier equine superlite fly rug & although it was a gorgeous rug it was an awful awful fit. Didn't come close to fitting my cob - not deep enough at all & neck so long it hung over his whole face. & it didn't fit my arabx either though I've never had problems fitting rugs with her before.