Best terrier for children?

Lily-bo

Visit site
I grew up with a wire haired fox terrier. I believe he was a well trained young male. He was a wedding present to my mother in 1938. She lived in London and wire haired terriers were modish city dogs at the time.

There are many pic of me as a toddler with this dog. If I have to stop riding, I intend to buy another. (The agreement is that I will not insist on a dog in the house as long as I am able to ride).View attachment 97772
He’s lovely. They’re such characters. I hope you get to have another one day.

Lily-bo

Visit site
P
My personal opinion is terriers are not the best type category for children. These dogs were/are bred to attack small prey that make high pitched noises. Children also fit that category.

Where as say a Labrador is bred to retrieve and are generally soft mouthed. That’s not to say I haven’t seen aggressive labs or they don’t bite but they have been bred for many generations to be docile and trainable. Terriers had less need to be docile and trainable and more need to be shoved down a hole.

I strongly believe judge the deed not the breed BUT also getting a dog most suited to the purpose it was bred for to your lifestyle.
Yes, I have wondered about this. Our springer is so wonderfully kind. I have been thinking it might be best to wait for a terrier until my youngest is at school. I have known a JRT (not ours) who would lie in a pram like a baby and be pushed around for hours but I do have slight worries about terriers with very young children. I think I’ll make contact with breeders and take their views on their individual dogs. We’re not in a hurry.

Lily-bo

Visit site
I was talking to my mum tonight and mentioned this thread to her and that I'd suggested a Norfolk. She's a lot more experienced with dogs than me and has had a Norfolk and a Cairn, amongst other breeds. My grandparents also had a border terrier.

Mum said when she went to collect the Norfolk that the breeders grandkids were there. Noodle was being carried upside down by a toddler, a baby was crawling amongst the pups and an older kid was playing with them. The kids were surpervised at all times and no harm was done to the pups. But yeah, the Norfolks were good with kids!

Noodle during last winter
View attachment 97766
@TPO I showed Noodle to my husband. He has a soft spot for Norfolks as he grew up on a farm in Norfolk. Norfolk it is! One day…

L&M

Visit site
Another vote for a fox terrier - we have a smooth coated one which are a bit rarer than the wire.

He adores children and a bundle of energy and mischief, and would have had great fun with one when I was a kid. A real character but with manners and not a bad bone in his body.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
My friend has a norfolk and a 1 year old. They get on very well. Another friend grew up with border terriers very happily! We had a westie next door that we would take out for walks as children and he loved chasing us.

Family member has a jack russel crossed with a poodle and he's been a great sibling to my only child cousin.

I personally like the norfolk best out of all of them, they're so cute.

Rokele55

Visit site
With regard to terriers and small children, we had a lot (up to 10/12 at a time) of working terriers when we were children. Many were rehomes where they had killed a cat or murdered a neighbours pet guinea pig, or even bitten a person, so we had them in hunt kennels where they could use their natural instincts legitimately. Some were homebred (mainly the borders) and some were bought to work. Every single one was bright enough to ascertain the difference between a small child and whatever they were supposed to be biting. As very small, squeaky children with many small children visiting no terrier ever bit us because we squeaked or cried or made any sort of noise! We learnt very early on what they found acceptable and if we crossed the line the supervising human clocked us one, not the dog. I cant recall ever being bitten by a terrier and certainly not the hounds we also crawled around with, squeaking. We could as we grew older, however, train some of the terriers to bite particularly annoying people on command. This was very useful when we were teenagers and receiving unwanted attention.

Widgeon

Visit site
Our cairn is very good with kids, despite the fact that we don't have any. And a neighbour has a young Norfolk who is a very similar temperament - curious and quite unflappable. We also have friends who have a border terrier as well as two young children with all sorts of additional needs, and the dog is very good with them. Terriers are smart, personally I think they're very good at picking up the general "vibe" in a house, so if you are generally calm, predictable people, you ought to be on to a winner with lots of the terrier breeds.

In my experience though, once the terrier knows who's in their pack, they know to protect them.

ETA - agreed :)

Lily-bo

Visit site
With regard to terriers and small children, we had a lot (up to 10/12 at a time) of working terriers when we were children. Many were rehomes where they had killed a cat or murdered a neighbours pet guinea pig, or even bitten a person, so we had them in hunt kennels where they could use their natural instincts legitimately. Some were homebred (mainly the borders) and some were bought to work. Every single one was bright enough to ascertain the difference between a small child and whatever they were supposed to be biting. As very small, squeaky children with many small children visiting no terrier ever bit us because we squeaked or cried or made any sort of noise! We learnt very early on what they found acceptable and if we crossed the line the supervising human clocked us one, not the dog. I cant recall ever being bitten by a terrier and certainly not the hounds we also crawled around with, squeaking. We could as we grew older, however, train some of the terriers to bite particularly annoying people on command. This was very useful when we were teenagers and receiving unwanted attention.
@Rokele55 that’s brilliant! That made me laugh. Very interesting, in all seriousness. Can you teach me how to train them to bite on command? I can think of a couple of people I could apply that to…

Rokele55

Visit site
@Rokele55 that’s brilliant! That made me laugh. Very interesting, in all seriousness. Can you teach me how to train them to bite on command? I can think of a couple of people I could apply that to…

All we had to do with our special guard dog (border x jrt, hand reared from 2 weeks old after mum was run over) was put a hand on the offender and squeal. She was very clever and always went for above the knee in case of wellies! No one messed with us when she was there. Joking aside she was only 12'' and could still instill fear in large men. We all still recognise a dog who is protective and take extra care. Interestingly, my late border, the absolutely least aggressive dog I have ever met, would always position herself sideways between any strange person or dog in front of my grandson when he was small. She never had to act but made it clear she would. She was never protective of me.

P3LH

Visit site
Disclaimer: I am a terrier freak. I only don’t have any anymore as I’ve done my time of waiting outside holes and warrens for a scruffy head to reappear. One day.l again though.

Norfolk terrier, border or dandie dinmont would get my vote. The latter, although rare, are one of the most wonderful natured breeds I’ve ever met.

Lily-bo

Visit site
@
Disclaimer: I am a terrier freak. I only don’t have any anymore as I’ve done my time of waiting outside holes and warrens for a scruffy head to reappear. One day.l again though.

Norfolk terrier, border or dandie dinmont would get my vote. The latter, although rare, are one of the most wonderful natured breeds I’ve ever met.
Oh dandie dinmont! I’d forgotten about them! My grandparents had one when I was tiny, I have photos of him being incredibly patient while I took him on walks. He was a wonderful dog.

P3LH

Visit site
@

Oh dandie dinmont! I’d forgotten about them! My grandparents had one when I was tiny, I have photos of him being incredibly patient while I took him on walks. He was a wonderful dog.
Terrier quirkiness with exceptional temperament, very easy going and wonderfully sweet in many ways. Still very much a terrier but well deserving of the gentleman of the terrier world title.

P3LH

Visit site
Mulling some more - never met a Lucas I didn’t like, nor one with a shape or sketchy temperament. They aren’t exactly common either but their breed club are quite approachable. Or at least were when I contacted them about eight years ago or so when considering one.

Lily-bo

Visit site
I grew up with a wire haired fox terrier. I believe he was a well trained young male. He was a wedding present to my mother in 1938. She lived in London and wire haired terriers were modish city dogs at the time.

There are many pic of me as a toddler with this dog. If I have to stop riding, I intend to buy another. (The agreement is that I will not insist on a dog in the house as long as I am able to ride).View attachment 97772
I met a wire-haired fox terrier on our walk today. He was just lovely - very relaxed and dignified (for a terrier!).

SOS

Visit site
Also, when I first opened this thread I thought 'despite a terrier being specifically asked for I bet someone suggests a Labrador', and sure enough...
:p

If this is about me I didn’t recommend a Labrador. I talked about choosing a dog with consideration for the historical purpose it was bred for.

I wouldn’t recommend any breed to a family with young children, as there isn’t a perfect dog for that scenario. But then again I don’t have kids and I am much more cautious re dogs biting than most of the general population. :)

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
If this is about me I didn’t recommend a Labrador. I talked about choosing a dog with consideration for the historical purpose it was bred for.

I wouldn’t recommend any breed to a family with young children, as there isn’t a perfect dog for that scenario. But then again I don’t have kids and I am much more cautious re dogs biting than most of the general population. :)
I am from a family of 8 and we always had dogs, mostly herding breeds, but not a single one of them ever bit my siblings, myself or our friends. I think it's good for children to grow up with animals, I know that it was a great experience for myself and my siblings, my mother still resents not being allowed a pet when she was a child (probably why my family was known throughout my hometown as the family with all the kids and dogs!).

Books'n'dogs

Visit site
Are Australian Terriers popular in the UK? A family friend has one, he is utterly delightful and apparently is besotted with their four year old grandson. I recently looked at the breeder's website and social media, she had many photos and videos of her dogs playing with children and they seemed like the perfect combination.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I don't have kids either but I think it would be really sad if no young kids grew up without a dog.
I had a great doggy childhood, going to dog shows, being around working and police dogs and survived unscathed.
I only ever got nipped by one dog as a kid, without breaking the skin, a strange Rough Collie in the neighbourhood that I was a bit too bold with, I deserved it.

Managed to get into my 30s before being actually bitten, despite a lot of exposure to dogs and a pretty foolhardy attitude. And any time I've been bitten, it was my mistake.

Last edited:

Ratface

Visit site
I grew up with a Wire haired Fox Terrier of uncertain temperament. His name was Bunty Chuffy Peter Paul Charles. He wouldn't respond to anything other than the full list. He had a huge wooden box bed in the corner of the kitchen. He never bit me, but he had a reputation for nipping children who were rough with him. They were always warned to treat him carefully before meeting him. If he nipped them afterwards, it was them that were told off, not him. He lived until he was fourteen, and was my wingman on many adventures.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Tbh I couldn't remember who it was and was too lazy to look back. You only beat someone else to the punch though I'm sure - it's a rule of hho what breed threads that a Labrador must be offered up

I'm just joking around by the way, I do appreciate that for an awful lot of people a lab is the perfect dog and I am in the minority who finds them just quite annoying

Clodagh

Visit site
Tbh I couldn't remember who it was and was too lazy to look back. You only beat someone else to the punch though I'm sure - it's a rule of hho what breed threads that a Labrador must be offered up

I'm just joking around by the way, I do appreciate that for an awful lot of people a lab is the perfect dog and I am in the minority who finds them just quite annoying
I think that’s funny. I always say people suggest whippet, if anyone wants anything from a sofa surfer to a search and rescue dog, via a guarding breed.
And I do try not to suggest Labrador too often ?