Best thing for squamous ulcers acid ease?

Lizzy3

Visit site
Hello, my horse was scoped a year ago and had low grade glandular ulcers so treated with peptizole and sucralfate as vet advised, scoped 6 months later and was clear. Scoped again on Thursday and those are clear but now she has grade 3 squamous ulcers :( vet has put her back on a course of peptizole and advised I use acid ease once the course is finished. She is out at night on good grass and in during the day with as much soaked hay as she can eat, she has tb healthy herbal chaff, equimins pro-bio, nightmare liquid (hormones)and her joint supplement (arthritis) can’t have her out 24-7 as she is a good doer so need to keep weight off her joints. Vet is stumped as to why these have appeared, she is not stressy at all shire x. Have any of you used acid ease? Or do you know a good equivalent that will help with the acid pls? Sorry for the long post but I’ve had horses all my life but never dealt with ulcers before :(
Thank you kindly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I can't help with the acid question, but returning ulcers in a horse with a near perfect management of food availability would make me look for a source of pain somewhere. Since your horse has arthritis, I'd start there. Is she already on painkillers for the arthritis? If so, could it be those (like bute) causing the ulcers? If not, can she be put on anything (that won't make ulcers more likely) to dampen down any pain from the arthritis?

I hope someone will be along to answer on the acid products soon.

Lizzy3

Visit site
I can't help with the acid question, but returning ulcers in a horse with a near perfect management of food availability would make me look for a source of pain somewhere. Since your horse has arthritis, I'd start there. Is she already on painkillers for the arthritis? If so, could it be those (like bute) causing the ulcers? If not, can she be put on anything (that won't make ulcers more likely) to dampen down any pain from the arthritis?

Thank you for your advice, she has ring bone and hock arthritis diagnosed 6 month before she started with glandular ulcers so vet said they had been caused by pain. Her hocks have been fused and she’s had a course of Irap injections in her fronts last year and after rehab she has come sound, vet does regular checks and she is sound and only does light hacking 3-4 times a week. Vet said she is not in pain as the glandular ulcers have gone and squamous ulcers are not caused by pain it’s as if she has been starved and raced so the only thing vet can think of is her seasons, she does get hormonal and just had her first season last month. She’s hasn’t been on any pain relief for the last 8 months because she’s been doing so well so can’t be that either

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I used Aloe Vera juice (human grade from Holland & Barrett) to very good effect with my Draft mare. I didn't have her scoped but I know that she had been on an unsuitable diet with limited forage before I got her. She was obese but I ensured that she had ad-lib access to chaff in addition to her measured hay ration. Her tack wasn't well fitting either, so obviously I sorted that out. She still exhibited signs of possible ulcers so I started the AV juice. It worked well but I soon learned not to run out of it as she only had to miss one dose to turn grumpy again.

Lizzy3

Visit site
I used Aloe Vera juice (human grade from Holland & Barrett) to very good effect with my Draft mare. I didn't have her scoped but I know that she had been on an unsuitable diet with limited forage before I got her. She was obese but I ensured that she had ad-lib access to chaff in addition to her measured hay ration. Her tack wasn't well fitting either, so obviously I sorted that out. She still exhibited signs of possible ulcers so I started the AV juice. It worked well but I soon learned not to run out of it as she only had to miss one dose to turn grumpy again.

Thank you that’s really interesting I hadn’t thought of AV juice. I have had my mare since she was 10 month old she is now 11 so I know she has always been fed correctly and never left without food and always up to date with vet and saddler just sadly she has arthritis:( vet has no idea why she has got this particular kind of ulcers so her seasons are the only idea at the moment.