Best thing to use for feeding tablets by hand?

Montyforever

Visit site
Mysti is a crafty one and she starts on prascend tomorrow. Wont be dissolving and putting in her feed as if she even gets a hint her feeds different she wont eat for a week and that's the last thing i need!

So common themes seem to be black treacle/golden syrup? Is that safe to coat a tablet in those so she takes it like a treat?

Eta - bought some honey today as figured that might be ok too??

Last edited:

Tnavas

Visit site
Peppermint oil is great for hiding strong smells, add to some hot water then add to feed.

Put a little Vicks Vapour Rub at the base of the nostril, hides the smell of the feed.

Quarter an apple and cut a small slot in the slice, stuff with pill

Get her used to Marmite and bread, then make a Marmite and pill sandwich

If desperate, crush pill, mix with Apple sauce and use an old worm syringe, straight in as if you were worming.

Something I found that helps with giving any medication is to give horse a couple of Extra Strong Mints before the medication, masks the smell and taste.

StormyMoments

Visit site
When we were trying to get ACP in to one of ours we poked a hole (with a hoof pick :eek:) into a carrot and then put it in there with a bit of syrup.. he took that fine :)

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Mysti is a crafty one and she starts on prascend tomorrow. Wont be dissolving and putting in her feed as if she even gets a hint her feeds different she wont eat for a week and that's the last thing i need!

So common themes seem to be black treacle/golden syrup? Is that safe to coat a tablet in those so she takes it like a treat?

Eta - bought some honey today as figured that might be ok too??

Sometimes I wonder if it was worth making this helpful site :( I thought it would be handy and really useful to those new owners and new visitors to this H & H site, a place to store all usefull tips and help from previous members where its easy to hand and you don't have to have all these repeat post about the same thing over and over like repeats of TV programes.

Nothing against you monty :) just having a moan.

here are previous tips on the web site all from H&H members if you want to view
http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/veterinary.html

Tnavas

Visit site
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth making this helpful site :( I thought it would be handy and really useful to those new owners and new visitors to this H & H site, a place to store all usefull tips and help from previous members where its easy to hand and you don't have to have all these repeat post about the same thing over and over like repeats of TV programes.

Nothing against you monty :) just having a moan.

here are previous tips on the web site all from H&H members if you want to view
http://horse-care-and-advice.weebly.com/veterinary.html

I rarely go on those pages, as I like to read something new plus the spelling and grammar is poor.

Many horses/ponies Love Marmite sandwiches

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I rarely go on those pages, as I like to read something new plus the spelling and grammar is poor.

Many horses/ponies Love Marmite sandwiches

So what if the grammar is not 100%. The replies are copied and pasted from the site as the member write it, I do not doctor it to improve the spelling. Why should I? I am not the spelling police, I know a lot of people on this forum act like spelling police, and just because the spelling is not up to your expectation or so called standard, some members have spelling difficulty and I see no reason not to include their advice or experience with others.

That is the trouble with H&H too many spelling police criticizing anyone who is not up to par with spelling or punctuation. One reason this forum is going down hill IMO as well as too many threads over and over and over again asking the same things.

what joint supplements
what shall I feed my horse
what bit shall I use

etc etc etc etc.

Which is why when someone ask they can just look at previous post kept in an easy to find place so we are not constantly replying the same answer over and over to different people.

I myself have a life away from this forum where reality is what counts, this forum is vastly turning into TV repeated threads over and over and over. probably why so many H&H members leave the forum.

I am vastly getting bored with this forum due to the reasons mentioned, and why I know of 3 people who left because they got fed up as there is rarely anything new, I think its unfair to ignore people's advice who have spelling issues. They are usually the most intelligent people but find it hard to write down or type to a certain standard.

Last edited: