Best ThoroughbredxDraught Stallion standing at Stud?

hoof01

New User
Visit site
Looking for advice on best thoroughbredxDraught stallion standing at stud - must be 16.2 or over and NOT a grey? Must be able to jump. Looking to breed from a 3/4 draught mare.

Can anyone advise??

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Cos me is Black has to be near the top of the list; he does everything!

Embla Stud near Stafford have a lovely young boy, Embla Top Gear whose stock look promising. He's by Maurice Miner(ID) out of a lovely Ballinvella mare that carried the huntsman for many seasons so if he can't pass on jumping genes I'd eat a hat.
Also look at Grafham Stud's Jumbo sons.

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
He's a fab stallion - temperament is top of his list of attributes! But there's no doubt he's a very good jumper too!

CMIB makes me want to buy a mare just so we can have one of his babies :)

But a massive thumbs up for Embla as we have one of Maesfen's homebred geldings out of Maurice Minor who has the most fabulous temperament & movement- i would have another of his bloodlines in a heartbeat if i had the space/cash :) :)

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Cos me is Black has to be near the top of the list; he does everything!

Embla Stud near Stafford have a lovely young boy, Embla Top Gear whose stock look promising. He's by Maurice Miner(ID) out of a lovely Ballinvella mare that carried the huntsman for many seasons so if he can't pass on jumping genes I'd eat a hat.
Also look at Grafham Stud's Jumbo sons.

I'm afraid Embla Top Gear wuld not even make the bottom of my list, just because he is a Grade 3 ISH stallion - that means he failed the vetting! Embla has some history for not putting stallions forward for Grading - because they haven't always agreed with the results - but Class 3 means a stallion or mare FAILED the vetting. There MAY be a good reason it did - it may even be that it would have passed a month earlier or a month later - or that the vet on the day made a mistake. But you do NOT want to breed a foal that is sired by a horse with a hereditary condition.

Joshua92

Visit site
Hi Janet many thanks for that, I am looking at Cos Me Is Black and just trying to trace progeny to see what they have done. Any leads gratefully received.

ihatework

Visit site
CMIB is a really really useful horse in his own right and I can see why he would be an attractive prospect. But there are plenty of useful stallions that are good horses but not necessarily good sires, for a variety of reasons. I am not saying CMIB is one of those (I have no idea)!!
For each minute you spend researching the sire, spend twice the amount researching the dam.

I’d go direct to source - ask the stallion owner what he throws and to what mares and ask about performance of offspring. This stallion is not over used and I suspect the owners will be helpful.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk

Joshua92

Visit site
Thanks Janet, yes I found that, I was wondering if anyone on here had any babies, they are all mostly very young but there are a couple of older ones on SHDGB but can’t find if they have done anything. I am breeding to event.

cundlegreen

Visit site
CMIB is a really really useful horse in his own right and I can see why he would be an attractive prospect. But there are plenty of useful stallions that are good horses but not necessarily good sires, for a variety of reasons. I am not saying CMIB is one of those (I have no idea)!!
For each minute you spend researching the sire, spend twice the amount researching the dam.

I’d go direct to source - ask the stallion owner what he throws and to what mares and ask about performance of offspring. This stallion is not over used and I suspect the owners will be helpful.
CMIB's dam's breeding is unknown, that would put me off, even if he is a very good, versatile stallion.