Best thrush treatment or preventative for a field kept horse?

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I like the sole cleanse for a quick treatment if I cant be doing with getting field paste on my hands but the field paste will do the job by itself and I like it better because it stays on longer. Sole paint I found to be a bit of a faff, just cos it needs a brush as well. Hoof Stuff is miraculous for deep central sulci. I'm not so sold on artimud, think field paste can do that job too.

I do not work for RHP! Hahaha!

Reactions: TPO

ihatework

Visit site
I’m not particularly impressed by the sole cleanse, I much prefer sheep foot rot spray, find it far more effective quicker.

But the red horse hoof stuff is superb if they have deeper bits to fill

Moon River

Visit site
I've tried the Red Horse products several times over the past few years and have never found that they've done much or stuck to the hoof no matter what the field conditions. I'm liking the Barrier Hygiene fungicidal foot spray right now.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I gave a tub of field paste to another livery as a last ditch attempt to clear up their pony's canker... it worked. I was amazed because I didn't think it would I was just trying to be nice. The vet and farrier involved both went and bought a few tubs for future use.

Reactions: TPO

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I get mum to use field paste as she's not great at remembering (we do also have sole cleanse and hoof stuff in the cupboard both of which I found very helpful).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Tea-tree oil spray, works a treat.
I have posted berfore about being recommended Red Horse products by my farrier who had seen it work on another client's horse. There was a 2 week wait because it was out of stock when I tried to order RH. So I used tea-tree spray every day and the infection had cleared up by the time the RH stuff arrived.

Follysmum

Visit site
I use red horse products as a preventative but have used the Kevin bacons before which is excellent ( it stinks awful) but worked very quickly

splash30

Visit site
Tea tree oil mixed with eucalyptus oil, daily has cleared up my horses thrush which I battled with for 5 years using every potion going. I found this mix by a chance conversation with my horses chiropractor.

holeymoley

Visit site
I agree about the Red Horse stuff, I’ve used the sole cleans and felt it didn’t really do much. It may be more for a milder case or a preventative. Iodine’s worked a treat for mine.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Red Horse products have worked for mine, including a truly horrendous sub sole abscess that lasted for four months and needed a hole the size of Africa being dug. I believe eucalyptus oil is one of the ingredients.