best treatment for arthritis/did

Asha

Visit site
Wallace developed a lump on his hock, and was really lame after exercise. So off to the vets we went. They did an xray and biopsy, and fortunately found it was DJD,( I was expecting Cancer). hes been on Onsior for 2 weeks, and its made a massive difference to him, so happy and pain free. The only problem is the cost, £140 per month !! Ive been on line and found VetsUk do it for £105.

Does anyone know of any better prices, or a cheaper alternative ? Thanks

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
The traditional/2nd gen NSAIDs would probably work out a bit cheaper (carprofen etc.) but have disadvantages compared to the Onsior - it's a conversation to have with your vet. :)

This is purely anecdotal but some have success with nutraceuticals (Yumove Advance etc.) which may allow lower dosing and save you a few tablets every month.

ETA: Is Wallace ginormous? That does seem steep.

Asha

Visit site
Hes a chunky golden retriever, I dont mean fat/obese. Hes just over 40kg. So I guess that now hes able to run around a bit more he may drop a couple of pounds and be able to drop to one tablet. Thanks

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he was fat. :eek: Was just wondering if he was a giant breed and having multiple tablets a day, as otherwise 30 x 40mg tablets should be closer to £30/35 a month.

Asha

Visit site
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that he was fat. :eek: Was just wondering if he was a giant breed and having multiple tablets a day, as otherwise 30 x 40mg tablets should be closer to £30/35 a month.

hahaha, I didn't think you did, I'm just conscious that most of the goldens I see are quite trim looking. Wallace is, and always has been rather wide, when we took him for his vet check at 8 weeks old he laughed that he was as wide as he was long. That hasn't changed, but he has put a bit of chub on since being a bit lame. Hes got a huge head, and wide ribcage, and is far bigger than any golden i've come across. Hes a giant golden !!

Thanks for your help blackcob x

Clodagh

Visit site
Blackcob would know far more than me but I asume you may be able to reduce the dose once he is stable and happy?
I agree with giving him a decent supplement, our older lab has arthritic elbows and she has yumove and only needs a real pill after a long day shooting.

wren123

Visit site
Our lab has been xrayed and has arthritis in one elbow. We found she responded better to yumove advance than she did to rimadyl.
We're very pleased, she has a long off lead walk everyday and is completely sound. We do no throwing for her but she does lots of running herself. On vets advice we keep her fit and slim.

The next thing my vet was going to try is k laser, he says some dogs respond really well to it, it helps heal inflammation.

Chiffy

Visit site
My oldest Flatcoat has arthritis in a front leg. She has been on Yumove for 10 months and at first it was good but gradually she looked lame again. She is now on Canine Joint Aid from Riaflex, an excellent website. Anyway she is now bouncing like a young thing. They gradually improve and improve on it.
Very good people to talk to on the phone or to email.

Clodagh

Visit site
That's worth knowing Chiffy, I do feel that yumove is't being as successful with Brandy now, she is a bit short in front on hard ground. I will try that.
I agree with Wren thin is good, every extra pound is extra wear on the joints. We were told Brandy wouldn't make it past 3 and she is 10 now, and still picking up 3 days a week. She is lean though, I think that is very important. It is hard, when they are lame, to give them enough exercise so be mean - feed less. Brandy has one thermos lid for supper and a half in the morning, it looks cruel it is so little.

Chiffy - this one? https://www.riaflex.co.uk/products/canine-joint-plus/

Asha

Visit site
My oldest Flatcoat has arthritis in a front leg. She has been on Yumove for 10 months and at first it was good but gradually she looked lame again. She is now on Canine Joint Aid from Riaflex, an excellent website. Anyway she is now bouncing like a young thing. They gradually improve and improve on it.
Very good people to talk to on the phone or to email.

That sounds very interesting, I will look that up . Thank you ��

druid

Visit site
What number of what doseage tabs are you giving a day? Petdrugsonline.co.uk are the cheapest I've found at 74p a tablet for 40mg

rara007

Visit site
Have a chat with your vet, there's a whole host of meds suitable depending on your dogs bloods and general health, with a range of pricing. Onsior is one of the pricer ones.

Asha

Visit site
What number of what doseage tabs are you giving a day? Petdrugsonline.co.uk are the cheapest I've found at 74p a tablet for 40mg

Oh my word ! I feel like a right plonker , I’ve been working on the wrong dose . The vets quote is correct at £142 for one months supply . (60 tablets) 60 tablets on vets uk is £52 , or on petdrugsonline it would be even cheaper at £44. Now that is affordable!! That is some mark up by the vets though ......

Thank you Druid !!!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Weight is key, as is building muscle round the affected joint if poss. I find swimming if brilliant, as long as you dry the affected area thoroughly and get it warmed up fast after swimming. I’ve seen a difference with green lipped mussel, Yumove did nothing.

skinnydipper

Visit site
For those who wish to avoid NSAIDs, I have used Boswellia Serrata with good effect in older dogs with arthritis. It is not for occasional use and needs to be given every day, the effects are cumulative.

In the past I have also given SAMe. In addition to arthritis it also supports the liver and improves cognitive function. It is sometimes included in dog supplements and also is the ingredient in Denosyl. I used a human supplement, just make sure it has an enteric coating as it is destroyed by stomach acid and that it is blister packed as contact with air degrades the product. Best given on an empty stomach. It was discovered to be helpful for arthritis when it was given to people for depression and they found their arthritis improved.

Although the use of curcumin (a derivative of turmeric) is becoming more widespread there is a danger of stomach ulcers if taken at high doses over a long time.

Omega 3 in fish oil is also a mild anti inflammatory. I prefer salmon oil (whole body) as the amount of vitamin A in cod liver oil can lead to liver toxicity.

I have never found collagen, glucosamine or chondroitin to be helpful and believe hyaluronic acid needs to be injected into the joint to be effective.

My current dog cannot tolerate NSAIDs and the natural inflammatories I have mentioned would not be appropriate for him. He has K Laser treatment which he seems to enjoy, it totally relaxes him, and I believe it has been beneficial. My vet told me that not all dogs see improvement but I give the big lad the benefit of the doubt. He was also attending hydrotherapy (underwater treadmill) which improved his range of movement in addition to building muscle which, as CT has said, helps support the joints. As previously stated, weight control is important.

polo625

New User
Visit site
My 12 yo lab has arthritis, she has been under the vet and on anti inflammatory medication for a while, following a magnetic bracelet helping me with arthritis and back pain I put a magnet designed for dogs onto her collar, within days she stopped limping and has come off the medication, my vet was really impressed and asked for some magnets themselves !