Best treatments for a cough - dust related

Eriskayowner

Visit site
Update:

Tonight I have scrubbed every surface in both stables and removed all the cobwebs and dust that I can reach.

I have taken all the bedding out of the ponies' box and replaced it with easibed. Jazzy had some straw still left in his so that's staying until its not worth keeping.

I have given jazzy the last of the hay (dry) and the ponies have got 4 sections of haylage between them.

Mouse was still coughing when I go to the yard this evening but I'll see how he is tomorrow (today) when I go up.

Roll on them being out 24/7!!!

dee378

Visit site
Hi,

My horse has grass, weed and dust allergies (apparently he's a horse... although after hearing that I'm not so sure!!) Anyway, before he was diagnosed he was wheezy etc (sounded like he had smokers cough!!) and the following things worked for him:

Cleaned his stable - disinfected, hoovered, etc the complete works, then I used easibed (hate this bedding but it did the job then I managed to move back to shavings)
Changed from hay to haylage (this has made the biggest difference for him as he is now back on shavings and still ocassionally on straw if having a sleep over at my trainers place, but as long as he has haylage he is generally ok)
Started to feed him Equine America coff less (absolute god send!)

Since then I've also found another supplement called equina vet immunopro. This helps build up their immune system, so if it turns out your horse has got allergies, I'd recommend using this.

But as all the others have said - getting the vet to come sooner rather than later to run some tests would be the first steps then you can take the relevant actions to cure/prevent :)

Hope this helps and good luck!

Merrymoles

Visit site
My boy had a big breathing problem for years which seemed to be brought on by oil seed rape when he was about six. We used shavings and haylage and NAF respirator which was a godsend and seemed to help a lot. Even when he was out 24/7, I used to give him some Repirator in a tiny bit of bran before riding. The Respirator Boost (which is a liquid) was also good for a "quick fix" if he was breathless.
He was at his worst in the spring when the tree pollen started and would sometimes cough a lot when ridden. My vet's advice was that he was better ridden (and therefore not fat) than not and that, although the coughing would cause lesions, because he only hacked out it was better to keep him fit. I'm sure that's not true for all horses and I did get off and walk up hill if he was particularly struggling but it worked for us for 13 years until I lost him to colic.
He had massive heave lines and sometimes you could see him heaving at rest if it was particular hot and dusty but I rode him at walk if this was the case. Quite often he'd have a good cough when we first set off and then improve as he went.