Best turnout rugs for a cob with big shoulders/chest and bum

emfen1305

Visit site
Sorry done to death I know but my old horse was easy to fit and went in any rug, the new one is a bit harder as proven by the 5 fly rugs I ended up buying and selling before giving up. He is 15hh chunky cob, he's got big shoulders and a quite a deep chest but he also has quite a big bum.

I am looking for recommendations for a no fill, 50/100g and a MW. Preferably combos.

A photo of the chunk if it helps.

HtI0F3m.jpg

Cheshire Chestnut

Visit site
I had a Welsh D with a huge neck and shoulders (cut late) and he was a nightmare for rugs. He needed 6ft but his shoulders didn't fit in them, the next size up hung off his back and bum.

So I found the Premiere Equine ones and Rambo ones fitted especially well. Master, Weatherbeta etc never fitted unfortunately.

Bojingles

Visit site
I've been really impressed with Ruggles - they fit my chesty cob brilliantly without being too long, which some of the other more generous cut brands are.

Jo1987

Visit site
Derby House rugs are the only ones that fit my wide cob, the above suggestions were all far to tight on him 😩

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Derby House rugs are the only ones that fit my wide cob, the above suggestions were all far to tight on him ��

There's no way Ruggles were too tight on a cob. My Suffolk is perfectly comfortable in his Ruggles stable rug while a derby house wouldn't fasten :D.

ETA: did you mean Ruggles standard fit or the HH fit? I can see how a standard fit might be tight on a cob.

Jo1987

Visit site
There's no way Ruggles were too tight on a cob. My Suffolk is perfectly comfortable in his Ruggles stable rug while a derby house wouldn't fasten :D.

ETA: did you mean Ruggles standard fit or the HH fit? I can see how a standard fit might be tight on a cob.

Yes standard fit - their heavy horse rugs start at 6’9 and mine takes a 6’6 unfortunately so can’t comment on the heavy horse fit.
I definitely would have tried one if they made the heavy horse cut in a smaller size!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Yes standard fit - their heavy horse rugs start at 6’9 and mine takes a 6’6 unfortunately so can’t comment on the heavy horse fit.
I definitely would have tried one if they made the heavy horse cut in a smaller size!

Ahh, I didn't realise they only started at 6'9"

Big Horse Shop start much smaller. Little Ern doesn't fit around the shoulders quite as well in Big Horse Shop but, for context, I measured saddle D ring to D ring, under the neck, for an Equisafety belt for the front of a high viz rug, and he measures 85". The big horse shop rug could have done with another inch or two while the Ruggles fits him perfectly.

C1airey

Visit site
I have a welsh whose shoulders are just not made to fit under anything. The best-fitting rugs we have are from Derby House. The basic Weatherbeeta or Shires ones are also good. I always buy full neck rugs as I find they are less likely to pull back and rub his withers.

emfen1305

Visit site
Ah shame about the Ruggles ones, my lad is only in a 6'3. Sounds like Weatherbeeta and Shires are the way forward. I'll look at the Big Horse Shop too - thank you!