Best turnout rugs?

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Would be grateful of a few opinions on the best turnout rugs as my two will be living out with shelter this winter (sorry to be talking about it already) getting prepared as need to buy a few each for the little money munchers.
Anyone really recommend a specific brand?

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I have LW horses who live out and the rugs that I like best are Horseware Rambo and Bucas (Smartex, but I'd love to get a Power). In high winds the Bucas' with leg straps are better than the Rambo's with tail straps and fillet straps. They cost a bomb, but it's worth looking for bargains or sales as they last. My 2006 smartex is still going strong with only minor repairs and one reproofing. The Rambos with the liner system are very useful rugs. A make that has also done well for me is Shires (Typhoon and Stormcheeta) and they are quite adjustable at the neck, so they suited my old wide NH TB and will also go small enough on the neck to fit my chunkiest arab.

Simple rules are -

1. Make a note of your horse's build. Some makes are better on chunky types, others fit LW horses.
2. Look for a nylon lining, especially at the shoulders as they rub less IME. My old style smartex doesn't have nylon lined shoulders (the newer one does) so I use a bossy's bib with that rug.
3. Look for high denier. So 1200d is better than 600d.
4. Ballistic nylon is the creme de la creme of outer rug material IMO. It's more expensive than polyester and polypropylene, but they don't last as well.

I don't really use neck covers due to mane rubbing, but the half necks/wugs are great.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I love Weatherbeetas and Horseware but if they're out of your budget, I can recommend Axiom turnout rugs which are sold only on eBay. Sadly they don't offer much variation in terms of weight and are often mad patterns (but that doesn't bother me).

Having said all of that, I would really say to keep in mind what faracat has said above. I like Weatherbeeta and Axiom but both of our rugged horses are on the chunkier side and I feel that those brands fit chunkier types better.

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
I only buy horseware rugs these days as they fit my horse so well. Also like that they stand up to a lot (1200 denier) depends on your horse though, HW are designed for chunkier horses.

SO1

Visit site
I have the rambo's for my living out pony.

Personally I think if your horses are wintering out and going to be spending a lot of time in their turnouts the fit has to be really good and they need to be durable so it may be worth spending the extra money if the fit of a more expensive brand is the best fit for your horse.

I usually have the rambo wugs for my chunky forester but I bought one of the original LW no neck ones as well which has the liner sytem so I can change the weight of the rug by adding the liners.

The rambo's are expensive and I have tried other brands but the fit is best for pony with the rambos and they do seem to last a long time and keep him dry and warm even in the heavy rain or snow.

The best time to buy is the spring with lots of sales on I have got some bargains!

Louby

Visit site
Had to convert to Rambo rugs a few years ago as all my cheaper rugs were getting trashed daily by my horses rug ripping friend! and Rambo's, not the Rhino stood up to it all. However, I bought a new horse this year and couldnt afford to replace everything with Rambo so I tried the Shires Tempest range and they are brilliant and a fraction of the price. I did go for their better quality ones, as in the 1680 denier (I think) shiretex ballistic nylon, which they do in the heavier weight rugs and Id say the quality of the material is every bit as good as the Rambos. I wouldnt bother with the 600 denier rugs unless your horses go easy on them.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Rambo, brilliant rugs, fit really really well and don't rub, move and they are not too heavy compared to something like PE

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Rambo every time. They are the only ones that do not leak. I used one for 12 years, no leaks. The horse wore out before the rug did. They never slip either.

I tried a Fal Pro - was very expensive silver interactive jobby, butit leaked very quickly where the neck joined the rug part, and then it seeped half way over the horse. Have had Shires/Weatherbeeta ones too, are good at first but leak after a year.

For a horse that is not bad with rugs I have founf Rhino good too, but do not look as robust as Rambo.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I've a New Forest gelding who admittedly, isn't rugged unless the weather is bad.

I've found Horseware & Shires rugs to be best for him. He's quite, erm, "playful" so I don't get anything less than 1200 denier for him - they just don't last!

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Thankyou everyone will get looking online at the brands mentioned most. Looks like the horses will end up with more expensive coats than me this year :)

FireFly29

Visit site
I really like Mark Todd rugs, my mare who's normally stabled was turned away for a couple of months last winter and was warm and dry and happy in hers, didn't rub at all either. The necks are especially good on MT rugs I think.
Weatherbeeta are also good for a similar price.

Chunkie

Visit site
I like Weatherbeeta and PE for my Sec D, but am trying my first Swish rug this year - have already tried it on and like the fit around the neck and shoulders

Izzwizz

Visit site
Rambo Duo every time, I got my 2 new ones this year for £189 from Throstle Nest Saddlery. In all the years I have had rugs/horses they are the most hardwearing and waterproof. My old Duo, which is still being used, is still going strong 9yrs down the line. Only thing thats wearing is the velcro at the chest and I will be getting that sorted out. My mare lived out in hers 2yrs ago, absolutely brilliant rugs..

Alchemy

Visit site
Was a weatherbeeta fan and have had them for nearly 10 years but I was disappointed in the sizing with the last one I bought and am now trying JHL/Mark Todd