Best turnout rugs?

timbobs

Visit site
Evening everyone!

After some advice/recommendations on what turnout rugs everyone uses. My poor gelding is soaked after his rugs have been soaked through in this horrid rain!

I'm looking for best lightweight and medium weight rugs to swap over when the ones I have get wet.

Have only had new horse 6 weeks so haven't got a massive collection yet!

horselady

Visit site
My Rambo is great.
ETA: Just to explain when I got my cob in December She was clipped that was why she needed rugging in December.

Last edited:

antigone

Visit site
Rambo all the way. never leak and very breathable. I know the price is enough to make you pass out but I would say worth every penny and I don't say that about many things. Bucas are also really good but don't fit all shapes. I like the darts at the neck that give a bit more freedom. These are also cripplingly expensive. If not looking at that budget I would second shires but they do get damp inside in torrential rain - maybe more to do with breathability than leaking.

Jo1987

Visit site
As spares for when your everyday rugs are soaked through I like gallop rugs. I've never had one leak and as long as your horse isn't very chunky they should fit fairly well.
Failing that shires rugs are good value too.

timbobs

Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions!

He's in mark Todd and amigo at the moment and both have leaked badly so looking for new ones to be everyday and have those as spares!

Don't mind spending a bit of money, but budget might not stretch to bucas!

Any feedback on premier equine?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Premier equine.,good rugs but heavy .
They do a lovely fly rug with a waterproof panel along the back my friend has one I really liked the look of it .

Louby

Visit site
Ive got a new horse too, so also buying new rugs atm. Shes had a Shires Highlander LW on and also a Shires Tempest 50g during the heavy rain and has come in dry. The only problem is they are only 600 denier so they arent as robust as the 1200 denier but needs must as Im having to buy a whole new wardrobe atm as all my rugs are too big. In the past Ive had Weatherbeeta, Amigo but definately the 1200 denier ones, Rambo, pricey but fab! Swish are excellent too and fit just like the Shires. I stay away from Masta as they leak or used to and I havent had much luck with PE, fit wise although they the latest ones look great.

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I really like the Bucas rugs and the lightweight ones aren't too expensive. If you have a bigger budget Premier equine ones are very hard-wearing.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I'm a student on a small budget but I love Bucas rugs. You can find a load of great deals on ebay shops if you don't mind last season's colours. Chilli just received her parcel containing her new rainsheet today, ready for the torrential downpours tomorrow!

Visit site
Shires all the way. Last forever and sizes are accurate and fit well. I had a Shires Storm breaker on my horse the last two winters, not a bit of wear on it at all. They don't break the bank too much either for the quality they are in my opinion. Also have a Tempest and love it, pony always dry 😊

indie1282

Visit site
Shires are a good mid range rug. Although I have got a WB lightweight for my big warmblood and it's a lovely rug, fits beautifully and is really tough.

Tyssandi

Veteran
Visit site
Evening everyone!

After some advice/recommendations on what turnout rugs everyone uses. My poor gelding is soaked after his rugs have been soaked through in this horrid rain!

I'm looking for best lightweight and medium weight rugs to swap over when the ones I have get wet.

Have only had new horse 6 weeks so haven't got a massive collection yet!

Shires or Fal Pro

timbobs

Visit site
I'm a student on a small budget but I love Bucas rugs. You can find a load of great deals on ebay shops if you don't mind last season's colours. Chilli just received her parcel containing her new rainsheet today, ready for the torrential downpours tomorrow!

Ohh do you have a link?

claret09

Visit site
very much depends on your horse and how big they are around the shoulders and chest. my 17.2 although huge gets on best in horseware rugs as he is not huge across his chest. more chunky types do well in shires or weatherbeeta. masta's can be a bit shallow, a bit of a ballet skirt look. premier equine can be very heavy - sometimes worry about pressure on horses spines with them as they do seem to put pressure on backs.

Embo

Visit site
B came in yesterday with a leaky rug so I'm also in the market for a new one.

I got him a Fal Pro liner system for Christmas but the top rig is 100g, so no good for now.

I think I will go for one of their 0g fill but can't decide on the 1680d or Twill...

Oscar

Visit site
600d no fill rainsheets, tend to be shower proof rather than fully waterproof. I have a 1200d Amigo no fill rug that is fully waterproof but it's not freezing cold so even my poncy WB's are out naked overnight.

Also bear in mind the rugs may not be new and may have been washed and not fully reproofed, so I would invest in a can of "wet proof" spray, will cost about a tenner and will make the rug water repellent.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
I have big horse shop rugs for my two and they are fab for big shouldered horses.

Also just ordered a swish rain sheet as bhs are out of stock in one of mine sizes

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If you can stretch to a Rambo you won't need a spare very often. They simply don't leak. I bought one for my retired horse in the sales the year before last and because it's 100g with detachable neck and various liners it's literally all I've needed the past two winters. Fabulous rug

wingedhorse

Visit site
If you can stretch to a Rambo you won't need a spare very often. They simply don't leak. I bought one for my retired horse in the sales the year before last and because it's 100g with detachable neck and various liners it's literally all I've needed the past two winters. Fabulous rug

Which Rambo is recommended? I was wondering about this one? https://randrcountry.co.uk/products...=22244336647&gclid=CLey0omp_NMCFZG6GwodJKQFcQ

I always get confused with how many Rambos can buy.

I am looking for one to cover range of situations.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have a couple of rhinos and a rambo, all are either pushing 8 years old now or were purchased second hand initially, none let a drop through worth every penny and I wouldn't have anything else now, well maybe a fal but :p. Even better now they seem to have made the necks a bit bigger (was using a PE neck)

did use to have a LW PE, kept the dry, weighs a tonne.

wingedhorse I do think that is a good way to go. I have a 100g rambo supreme with liners which was one of the second hand ones it has been very useful and if I were to start buying a again that is what I would do (get the 0g supreme) as they dry pretty quick too so you don't really need 'spares'.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Which Rambo is recommended? I was wondering about this one? https://randrcountry.co.uk/products...=22244336647&gclid=CLey0omp_NMCFZG6GwodJKQFcQ

I always get confused with how many Rambos can buy.

I am looking for one to cover range of situations.
I got Duo's but actually think this one being a no fill would be better. Even more versatile!
When I'm not so skint a light weight compatible with liners will be my next purchase!
The Duo is 100g in the shell which is great but too warm now for mine.

Micropony

Visit site
My favourites are Rambo and Bucas. Not the cheapest but as they say, buy cheap, buy twice! Also have Amigos, which are nice, but the high denier ones with liner loops aren't actually that much cheaper than Rambo these days. I have one Maxima rug which fits really nicely and is very good value for the money, but the finish and quality just aren't quite so good.

In case you're wondering, the reason I have so many turnout rugs is that my horse's only fault is being absolutely filthy in his stable so I don't own any stable rugs.

timbobs

Visit site
So many options! Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

I bought a Weatherbeeta yesterday as they had them in the local tack shop.

Think I'll be saving up for bucas or Rambo for winter rugs as they've had so many recommendations :)

charterline

Visit site
I've never had any problems with the cheap or second hand rugs (of brands I've never heard of!) not being water proof. The only thing I've ever had a problem with is if you have a rug wrecker, in a field fenced with barbed wife. That can be an issue.