Best type of electric fencing

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Hello I need to buy some electric fencing to fence of quite a large area of dangerous fencing on a rented field. However i have no clue as to the best and cheapest way of powering electric fencing and I am finding it all really confusing. Can anyone help ?

flyingfeet

Visit site
My preference is white poly rope (either thin or thick). Tape degrades faster and is more prone to having strands of the wire breaking within in and reducing the electric shock received.

On the other hand tape is useful for visibility!

Stakes - metal ones last longer, but cost more. I prefer long white plastic stakes with a metal spike in the end. These are easy to use and highly visible.

Chargers - we use a mains one, as we are powering vast quantities of fencing for cows & horses. Batteries are a pain, so if you can afford it and have no mains I would go solar.

CBFan

Visit site
The solar energisers are suposed to be good and save you the hassle of having to recharge batteries all the time...

As for the atual type of fencing itself... the rope doesn't twist like the tape can and if its a 'permanent' fixture wooden posts will probably be better than plasic ones and may even work out a bit cheaper.

As for keeping costs down - search the internet or visit agricultural merchants and buy in bulk...

sorry not much help but hope it gives you a few ideas...

Sparklet

Visit site
Our tape perished and the YO ran a stip of very thin rope alongside so you get the visability as well as the effectiveness without having to re-tape the entire field.

miller

Visit site
We have just bought tape from Farm Care and it's guaranteed against UV and degradation for 5 years - was £48 for 200m of 40mm tape

Evadiva1514

Visit site
Fieldguard tape is exellent and is very hardwearing, another good one is the Gallagher turbo tape and is a little less pricey. Both are 40mm diameter and conduct very well.

JaneSteventon

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the replies its really helpful. Just looked at the solar powered thingies and although they are expensive I guess they will be cheaper in the long run. Thanks again