Best type of saddle rack for storing saddle...

naza

Visit site
So horse is going to be out of work for the next 6-12 months
Basically wondering how to store his saddles...
Are any saddle racks okay if you have a thick numnah underneath / put foam around certain parts of it. I'm thinking either the one that is just 1 bar under the gullet or the other ones which kind of cover the whole of the underneath of the saddle with 3 bars.?

Jnhuk

Visit site
The single pole in the gullet doesn't affect the flocking but the shaped ones do. If you use those ones put something like pipe insulating foam tubes on the bars to stop the metal bars marking

catkin

Visit site
i've used pipe insulation round the bars and some old front travel boots as soft padding.

Strip the saddles of stirrups, girths etc and if possible only have one saddle per rack and don't store anything heavy on top.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i have a piece of thick carpet laid over a saddle horse and then all of my numnahs,including a polypad, so there is no chance of the bars marking my saddle. one of my friends uses a large blanket folded a few times with the same result..my old dressage saddle is stoed on a single arm rack but i have an old blanket on it to stabilise the saddle..

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
The piping insulation can still dent some softer flocked panels. I now recommend single pole racks, if anything else then an old pillow duck taped around it is usually enough padding. A proper woollen thick blanket folded up would probably be good too, it needs to be 1-2" thick and squishy, a pile of towels wont' work for example, too firm and dense.