Best un-molassed chaff?

Jazmyn101

Visit site
Thanks I will check out baileys light chaff, can't use mollichaff calmer as it has too much sugar in it. Got one bag of mollichaff herbal a few weeks ago which horse loved but the sugar amount is ridiculous!x

googol

Visit site
Writing on this so I get notified about the reply regarding the straw

I've just stopped feeding D&H healthy hooves and replaced my purabeet with fast fibre which I'm going to feed on its own with pro balance and micronised linseed. Will be feeding about half a scoop
Stopped the chaff because I just used it cos I've always fed it but he doesn't need it and would rather keep feed simple and easy. Will see how he gets on

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Gosh, what's wrong with straw?

I did do some pondering on deciding I wanted to add a chaff to his sugarbeet + oats, and was a little cautious about the grass ones on the basis that they are high energy (purely from a sugars/feet point of view, a bit of oomph isn't a bad thing) but I was adding it for palatibility reasons (he loves eating his neighbours pure feeds mixes!) and on the basis that what I add by way of weight is really pretty small (it is so light) that the overall energy impact on his diet probably isn't huge. Although I don't know the proportions in the just grass it seemed better than knowing it was just ryegrass (I think redigrass and perhaps graze on is?) and that it doesn't have any soya etc coating. What do you chose DFR?

Bede I suspect DFR is alluding to the various mould inhibitors etc used?

I just use D&H Just Grass or any just grass chop from local manufacturers. Top Spec one has soya oil coating so not too keen on that but have used.

The sugars debate rages on but I wouldn't worry about a handful of dried grass... worry about the large amounts of forage and lack of exercise ;)

And yes, not just mould inhibitors but growth inhibitors, glyphosate (dessication) and pesticides and herbicides. Ok, we could go on and on about food production processes and why mycotoxins are bad and we should treat feed etc and it's effects on humans and animals but organic farmed straw and hay is hard to come by so knowing what I now know, I just try and avoid anything with too much chemicals in... don't go googling "the real reason wheat is toxic" will you...

So anyway, nothing to do with me being paranoid about bread... or being paranoid about buying anything for horses in a bag.

Thunderbrook are the only company to stock organic feed for horses. I haven't bought anything from them yet as I have decided to stop feeding my fat horse anything but a vit n min supp in some soaked grass chaff.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Honeychop oat straw chaff. Completely plain oat straw chaff nothing added at all. Took me forever to find an alfalfa and molasses free chaff for my boy and the added bonus is it lasts for ages.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I use molasses free hi fi! the horses love it and it actually looks a lot nicer than hi fi light! also has some little nugget bits in it too. I have one horse who I believe is allergic to it because it is a blend of alfalfa but the rest have it and are in great condition!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've used the Dengie "mollasses free" for my sweet itchy boy (sugar/mollasses not good for SI horses, neither is garlic, which you have to watch as feed manufacturers tend to sneak it in :( )

Re. the Honeychop, they are, I believe, based here in the Westcountry, which is mebbe why you other folks are finding it hard to source??? I bought a bag or two during the wet/awful summer we had, and had to return it to where I bought it, as it had gone all gunky and mildewey. Yuck. Apparently the feed manufacturer were having problems with their process; and I was refunded (plus an extra free bag to sweeten the pill :) ) without any hassle.

At the moment I'm using Top Chop Lite for my two.

OP........ you say that YOU don't like the smell of the Dengie you tried....... but if it suits your purpose, i.e. is low or zero mollasses, doesn't contain anything you don't want, and your horse is OK with it and will gobble it up OK - need you be worried??? :) I'm just wondering why you think the Fenugreek smell is a problem...... ??

Jazmyn101

Visit site
Hi, I'm just assuming it was the free sample which had a strong smell? I'm going to go with hi-fi molasses free, top chop lite or baileys light chaff. Probably the one lowest in sugar.

PollyP99

Visit site
I'm another that has ditched all chaff and just use fast fibre, my mare loves it and I'm told it's really low calorie. I give a small cup per day with a broad spectrum vitamin supplement.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Watching this post with interest. When will the feed manufacturers react to the need for a unmolassed, non-alfalfa chaff that is widely available. I would like to try the honeychop but cannot find it locally.

Some Pets at Home stores stock it quite cheaply. I haven't asked but assume they could order it in? they won't do home delivery on it.

Boulty

Visit site
I believe graze-on, just grass and readigrass are all molasses free and would have thought thunderbrooks chaff was as well.

Boulty

Visit site
Just as an aside if all you're wanting is something unmolassed to add your balancer to so she doesn't bolt it down have you considered soaked feeds? There's a fair few low sugar one about eg fastfibre, speedibeet, purabeet

Jazmyn101

Visit site
Just as an aside if all you're wanting is something unmolassed to add your balancer to so she doesn't bolt it down have you considered soaked feeds? There's a fair few low sugar one about eg fastfibre, speedibeet, purabeet

She likes something to chew on, she isn't a fan of soaked feeds