Best vegetarian joint supplement

Cavewoman14

Visit site
My mare is 13, and has no joint problems yet, but her physio has suggested that I should feed her a joint supplement for future protection. However a lot of the supplements I have looked at contain either chondroitin or collagen which are both obtained form animal or fish sources. I am veggie and obviously my horse is, so I do not feel comfortable feeding something that comes from another animal. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good joint supplement that doesn’t contain either of those products? I’ve tried turmeric, but she flatly refuses to eat it!

Griffin

Visit site
You can get vegetarian glucosamine because I believe Feedmark sell it. You could also try, as @Snail said, boswellia. Rose hips and micronised linseed are also reputed to have supportive properties.

[153312]

Visit site
If she's fussy you might try something like micronised linseed, or another plant based oil. Type isn't really important so long as it has a greater proportion of omega 3 than omega 6; more omega 3 than 6 is antinflammatory, but more 6 than 3 is proinflammatory. Micronised linseed is fairly palatable and oils can just be added to feed. You don't need much of either to see an effect and they can be really fattening so shouldn't give much and introduce slowly to avoid the squits.

Jamie Kent

Visit site
My mare is 13, and has no joint problems yet, but her physio has suggested that I should feed her a joint supplement for future protection. However a lot of the supplements I have looked at contain either chondroitin or collagen which are both obtained form animal or fish sources. I am veggie and obviously my horse is, so I do not feel comfortable feeding something that comes from another animal. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good joint supplement that doesn’t contain either of those products? I’ve tried turmeric, but she flatly refuses to eat it!

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Audevard-Ekyflex-Arthro-EVO-Joint-Support/c103796/ it's joint support but without fish or animal sourced collagen or chondroitin