Best vehicle to tow with??

showley1

Visit site
Have battled all season trying to make my mind up between a 3.5t box or car and trailer (my license won't let me drive 7.5t) and to be honest am still not fully convinced which avenue to go down, other than it seems you can get a nice towing vehicle and smart trailer at better prices than a smart 3.5t box.
Had been looking at a Mitsubishi l200 when someone told me yesterday they are rubbish to tow with??? Any advice? :)

luckyoldme

Visit site
Have a look at the ford ranger...It has a higher towing capacity than the l200. We tow a caravan for shows for my business and i very occasionally tow a box with it, can t fault it really

9tails

Visit site
Have battled all season trying to make my mind up between a 3.5t box or car and trailer (my license won't let me drive 7.5t) and to be honest am still not fully convinced which avenue to go down, other than it seems you can get a nice towing vehicle and smart trailer at better prices than a smart 3.5t box.
Had been looking at a Mitsubishi l200 when someone told me yesterday they are rubbish to tow with??? Any advice? :)

If you can't drive a 7.5t then you can't legally pull a trailer unless you've taken the trailer test. Sure, you can mess around with getting a trailer downgraded but I can't see the point personally.

showley1

Visit site
Yes i know i have to take an extra test but my uncle is a driving instructor and can take in my own car with small trailer on back so not much outlay whereas for 7.5 i have to use a hgv driving company and told more cost effective to take class 2 at around £1000, maybe something to consider in future but not at the moment.

MissChaos

Visit site
If you can't drive a 7.5t then you can't legally pull a trailer unless you've taken the trailer test. Sure, you can mess around with getting a trailer downgraded but I can't see the point personally.

Pre-1997 car licences include entitlement to drive up to 7.5T, IIRC, so LGVs are an option (there is a world between 3.5T and 7.5Ts!).

Options available to OP will depend on when they got their car licence, or if it was post-1997 and they've done the towing test.

Getting a trailer downgraded is useful for a number of people, depending on their setup. If my trailer's manufacturer was still in business, I'd have already done it as I don't *need* an allowed GTW over 3.5T for my setup but sadly that option's out for me.

Anyway, doubtless ROG will be along soon :)

MissChaos

Visit site
Also, considerations IME on which vehicle to get include:

Towing load - how many horses and weights, both realistically and ideally known rather than weigh tape or estimates - inc. whether will be carrying additional horses at any point
Unladen weight and capacity of trailer
Types of surface to be towed on
Running costs, especially day-to-day when commuting / not towing

xDundryx

Visit site
I will prepare to get shot down for this.. but I have a 2005 Freelander 2ltr tdi se it has a towing capacity of 2000kg and very easily goes around the country with my Ifor 505 and 16.1hh and regularly pulls 2 horses in the trailer without a problem. It's my 2nd one and both have been great they have the same engine as the defender. They get a lot of flack on forums etc and I was advised to steer clear but clearly didn't listen! The only negative is they are quite sore on fuel, thats my big expense.

showley1

Visit site
Well does seem i need to do my research more thoroughly as did not realise you could downgrade a trailer? at the moment would be used for 2 14.2 ponies, no idea on weights tbh, i was considering a 7.5t at the start of season as you can pick some nice ones up now for little money, but was told plating and running costs would be expensive ?

showley1

Visit site
Must confess i have always loved freelanders, but mechanic i was asking for advice nearly had a fit when i suggested 1 lol.

ROG

Visit site
Well does seem i need to do my research more thoroughly as did not realise you could downgrade a trailer? at the moment would be used for 2 14.2 ponies, no idea on weights tbh, i was considering a 7.5t at the start of season as you can pick some nice ones up now for little money, but was told plating and running costs would be expensive ?
Most B licence towing set ups are ok for one horse but two .... they would have to be very light

xDundryx

Visit site
See! they get slated..generally by people who don't have them or have had a 'bad one' (how many times have I heard that expression.. on the flipside you can have a 'bad' anything lol) Just my own experience has been fantastic towing with them. Maybe I'm a freak.... :)

bex1984

Visit site
I tow a single ifor with a 2002 freelander td4. B licence so trailer downplated and all well within legal limits with a 500kg pony. Towing 2 on a b licence is pretty tricky - some of the bateson trailers are really lightvbut I don't know how easy they are todownplate. An L200 would be too heavy on a b licence, as would most big 4x4s.

ROG

Visit site
I tow a single ifor with a 2002 freelander td4. B licence so trailer downplated and all well within legal limits with a 500kg pony. Towing 2 on a b licence is pretty tricky - some of the bateson trailers are really lightvbut I don't know how easy they are todownplate. An L200 would be too heavy on a b licence, as would most big 4x4s.
Very easy to donwplate a Bateson because they are still trading

Taking a vehicle with a GVW of 2100 kgs as an example would leave a MAM plated MAM of 1400 kgs for a trailer

The Bateson is 675 empty so that leaves 725 kgs for anything put in the trailer

CrazyMare

Visit site
Do the trailer test, have a solid vehicle.

I go all over the place, often alone, with 2 horses with my bateson ascot and Nissan Terrano. Lovely solid, stable combi

catroo

Visit site
See! they get slated..generally by people who don't have them or have had a 'bad one' (how many times have I heard that expression.. on the flipside you can have a 'bad' anything lol) Just my own experience has been fantastic towing with them. Maybe I'm a freak.... :)

I had the unfortunate pleasure of three bad ones in a row (only 4x4 option on company car list), I went through the three quite quickly as in the end the fleet management company refused to let them go beyond 50,00 miles as they became too much of a liability for them to maintain. I gave up in the end and took an Audi, although is wasn't four wheel drive it did a better job, had more room and was cheaper tax.

Now have a Rav 4 T180 but also a 3.5T lorry so have options

maximoo

Visit site
Have towed with a l200 and Mitsubishi shogun 3.2 tdi the Shogun is miles better than the l200 found the l200 did not have the same power as the Shogun for towing a trailer with horse in

mischamoo

Visit site
What's your daily mileage? Do you use your car to commute lengthy miles to work every day?

I went for the trailer and 4x4 option becuse I dont use my car to commute and probably only do about 6 miles a day so I went for a Kia Sorento Automatic, fantastic towing beast, mine tows 2800kg, tows my trailer and 2 x 16hh with ease. But it is juicy on the petrol, i dont mind paying the excess I spend on petrol when i do tow as it's still cheaper than for me to run a 3.5 or 7.5 lorry and run a small runaround car on the side. I still only have my B licence and whenever I need to tow i take my understanding mum out with me to sit in the front. I've gained loads of expereince and practice since towing like this and hope to book my test at the end of the year.

Cluny

Visit site
We had an L200 and had to get rid of it! it was, as my husband stated, gutless, very unimpressed with it.

We bought an Isuzu D-Max, and although truck itself is great, we've had problem after problem, mainly electronics and software with two new trucks in a row.

If you are thinking of a pick up to tow with, then highly recommend a Toyota Hilux, great engine and we've had no problems with ours at all and it pulls a foot trimming crush five days a week in tough terrain.

Also love my Jeep Grand Cherokee to tow with but it's very thirsty!

Visit site
Another vote for the fabulous work horse that is the Nissan Terrano - I had a Range Rover, a Discovery, a Freelander, a Trooper, a Nissan Patrol, a Mitsubishi Pajero and now the best of the best - my fantastic Terrano - tows my 505 and two 16.2 tbx a total dream - and it's not a new car either....... I cannot rate it highly enough!!!!

SuperH

Visit site
We have an L200 (53 plate) and a Hilux (07 plate).

The L200 is better off road and has higher ground clearance. The turning circle is very large so manoeuvring in tight spaces is tricky compared to the Hilux. The Hilux has more power, though I'm not really comparing like for like on this as the Hilux has a larger engine and is lighter to start with as is a single cab with no canopy, the L200 is a double cab with canopy so it is going to be slower.

I tow a Sinclair trailer and we also have a Bateson stock trailer and tow a lot of cattle so the vehicles have plenty of hammer. Both stand up to it well.

I always use the L200 as I can get more stuff in it, wouldn't have anywhere for my tack in the Hilux! No problems towing my two in the Sinclair, it is a nice smooth ride. Towing the stock trailer with the L200 however is horrendous, very rough ride whether loaded or empty - strange seeing as both trailers have the same suspension set up.

Clodagh

Visit site
We have an L200 (53 plate) and a Hilux (07 plate).

The L200 is better off road and has higher ground clearance. The turning circle is very large so manoeuvring in tight spaces is tricky compared to the Hilux. The Hilux has more power, though I'm not really comparing like for like on this as the Hilux has a larger engine and is lighter to start with as is a single cab with no canopy, the L200 is a double cab with canopy so it is going to be slower.

I tow a Sinclair trailer and we also have a Bateson stock trailer and tow a lot of cattle so the vehicles have plenty of hammer. Both stand up to it well.

I always use the L200 as I can get more stuff in it, wouldn't have anywhere for my tack in the Hilux! No problems towing my two in the Sinclair, it is a nice smooth ride. Towing the stock trailer with the L200 however is horrendous, very rough ride whether loaded or empty - strange seeing as both trailers have the same suspension set up.

We have just bought an L200 and I must say the towing ride is awful, the discovery before was great. I am going to try loading the back of the pick up with tractor weights next time, I wonder if the suspension is jerking or somethnig?

tiramisu

Visit site
Pick ups aren't always the smoothest to tow with as there weight is all up front. Some are ok though.

I love love love my defender (swb 90) it's not the most comfy vehicle for people on long journeys but it never struggles (sure I could tow an elephant without a grumble) and they're cheap and cheerful to maintain and fix...as OH says they're just like a grown ups mechano set! :lol:

showley1

Visit site
What's your daily mileage? Do you use your car to commute lengthy miles to work every day?

I went for the trailer and 4x4 option becuse I dont use my car to commute and probably only do about 6 miles a day so I went for a Kia Sorento Automatic, fantastic towing beast, mine tows 2800kg, tows my trailer and 2 x 16hh with ease. But it is juicy on the petrol, i dont mind paying the excess I spend on petrol when i do tow as it's still cheaper than for me to run a 3.5 or 7.5 lorry and run a small runaround car on the side. I still only have my B licence and whenever I need to tow i take my understanding mum out with me to sit in the front. I've gained loads of expereince and practice since towing like this and hope to book my test at the end of the year.
Not really less than 10 a day, thanks never thought of sticking the other 1/2 at side of me ;)

Loubidy

Visit site
My mum swears by her l200 and she tried loads of different vehicles Nissan navara are good but steering lock was a problem? I love driving my mums pick up its so easy and I'm convinced its impossible to stall.

debsandpets

Visit site
We had a discovery before and swore it was the best thing since sliced bread, however we now have a nissan navara and won't go back to a disco it p***es all over the disco with ease !!!!!

ROG

Visit site
Not really less than 10 a day, thanks never thought of sticking the other 1/2 at side of me ;)

SUPERVISING A B+E LEARNER
In April 2010 new rules were introduced for those supervising certain learner drivers but they only affected those supervising VOCATIONAL categories such as C1 C1+E D1 & D1+E where the supervising driver had those categories given to them for free when they passed a pre 1997 car test.
They do not affect those with a pre 1997 B+E licence who wish to supervise a B+E learner.
All B licence holders have B+E provisional on the paper part of their licence and can tow an empty or loaded trailer on all roads including motorways.
The usual rules apply when a learner is driving -
The supervising driver must be aged over 21
The supervising driver must have held a B+E licence for at least 3 years
L plates must be fitted to the front of the vehicle and the rear of the trailer
Correct insurance for a B+E learner

scribble

Visit site
we have a kia sorrento CRDi manual and it is lovely towes 3tonnes and really smooth. had a trooper which blew up, discovery wasnt bad, trooper towed well but went horribly wrong and we have L200 at work and tow very poorly ride wise.