Best way of holding poo sacks open?

catembi

Visit site
I have to poo pick into sacks that gardeners take away twice a week. The worst part is trying to get the wretched sacks to stay open. I use Wilko's blue rubble sacks which are probably half the size of a big black sack. I have tried using a trug, popping the bag inside & then folding the top over a la bin liner - impossible to find the right sized trug. They are either too big or too small. I have tried a bag loader thing - it's basically a sheet of vinyl which you have to roll into a tube and then put into a sack. It is a right old faff. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Easy-Fill-...1_6?keywords=bag+loader&qid=1573511938&sr=8-6 I have had to cut it down a lot & then customise with bulldog clips to keep it from being such a floppy PITA. I am now eyeing refuse sack trolleys. https://www.ajproducts.co.uk/wareho...trolley/459417-19431425.wf?productId=19431418

We are on heavy clay but the fields are shut off for winter, so the area they're on is either concrete, hard standing or mud control matted.

Surely I am not the person to have this problem..?

I am sure I have asked this before, but can't remember the answers, & I have been soldiering on for 6 months with my rubbish bag loader.

chaps89

Visit site
Could you do some sort of modification to/with a haynet filling stand at all?

Equally if you roll the tops of the sacks down it will give a bit of rigidity to get some muck in there, then you can unfold/unroll them and already having some contents in should give them a bit more shape/support.

SEL

Visit site
I place in a trug then roll the top inch or so of the bag back. Sometimes it's easier to poopick into a barrow then use a garden spade to load the bags.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I used to use empty Marksway Horsehage bags. They are rectangular and the opening is on the long side. The plastic is sturdy and they sort of stand up by themselves when empty. I reused them time and time again. I could lift a filled one into my little trailer to take away, I’d wait til I’d got a trailer load which was around 20 bags and then shift the lot.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If the gardeners will return them, use the 45p Aldi carrier bags. They are rectangular, good size and have handles.

I muck out into them and tip down the bank at the end of my arena. I have some that I have been using almost daily for a year and I'm still waiting for the first one to wear out!

These, they're fun too!

Reactions: DD

catembi

Visit site
Oh yes, they do look fun! The gardeners collect twice a week and do return the bags. They last quite well, but not a year. I don’t know if there’s an Aldi nearby. We’ve got a Lidl 😄

catembi

Visit site
H’mm, I have just found a Sports Direct carrier that has been in the cupboard since the dawn of time and that does indeed hold itself open very nicely... You might be onto something! 😄

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I was going to suggest sports direct/ikea bags.

Although if you now have a large collection of trugs I did wonder if you could just fill them and get them to bring the last lot back :p.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Wilko does garden refuse bags. They are about £3 each and they have a little bit of wire stuff pushed through the top so they stay open. They are between a builders bag and carrier bag in size and seem to be very sturdy. I'd invest in a few of those and just make sure the gardeners brought them back when empty.

Or get yourself a little car trailer, you can get them for about £80 second hand. Fill that and have them take it away.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I poo pick into empty feed bags, the plasticky sort. I use a poop scoop with the prongy thing and find that I can slide the edge of the scoop into the top of the bag, once you have one poo in the bag they sort of hold themselves open with the weight. Some fab ideas on here though, I love that round green bin bag opener :)

Annagain

Visit site
H’mm, I have just found a Sports Direct carrier that has been in the cupboard since the dawn of time and that does indeed hold itself open very nicely... You might be onto something! 😄
I was about to suggest the blue Ikea bags - similar to the ones ycbm mentioned but much wider therefore easier to fill. I use one to carry haylage to his lordship's haybar. I put it in the wheelbarrow as it's quite barrow shaped.

catembi

Visit site
I have got a blue IKEA bag but it's my lorry bag & i chuck all my stuff in it when we're going somewhere! Which I need to crack on & do now as we have a jumping lesson at 7.30...! It's the bigger one, whereas I think the smaller ones might work better.

I am going to trial Sports Direct, Aldi, Wilko & IKEA (smaller version) & test for hold-openness, capacity & durability! Maybe also Shetland-proofness as it is a tough thing indeed that can survive the attentions of busy little mouth & stampy little feet...