Best way of stopping a saddle slipping on a round native?

Shay

Visit site
Yep... Just paid over 2K for Baby Connie's second saddle in a year..... Anyone want a very lightly used 17.5MW black country hunter cut with a gel seat?

Teresalee

Visit site
Limpet sounds great! its a 10/20m foam saddle pad this goes under you saddle and you cant see it because it gets cut to your saddle. It molds in between the horse and saddle to create something for the saddle to grip to without irritating the horse. I haven't personally tried one but was looking into getting one myself they're reviews are fantastic! Used by well-known showjumpers/eventers/dressage.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
You need the right saddle and a really good saddle fitter. I had a Dales and no matter what the saddle never slipped. It was a Burford Event so suitable for jumping and flat work fitted by Nathaniel Underwood.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Are you competing under any specific rules on saddles? Have you tried a total contact saddle. Great for jumping on round things...

Suby2

Visit site
One thing that I have found that works with my rather round cob whose saddle slipped to the right was to ensure that the final tightening of the girth was always done from the off side. I think I was inadvertently moving it slightly to the right by tightening girth up on the near side.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Saddle type makes a huge difference with saddle movement as does girthing, I use a WH fairly close contact on my round Arab with a non elastic leather girth and it stays put, I find elastic girths no good for him and I think because the close contact sits lower and sort of wraps around the back they work much better than a regular saddle.

My other Arab has a totally different back profile and a close contact made his back sore, they are just totally the wrong shape for him.

catembi

Visit site
H'mm, yes, I have had a good look at the current saddle & it doesn't not fit, i.e. appears to be the right width, sits level, neither too high nor too low at the front, not bridging, good spine clearance...but it somehow isn't quite right either... Saddles in general are very vexing.