Best way to control flies in summer? Best fly rug?

Oscarpop

Visit site
Hi, I have a 5 year old mare who gets absolutely bitten to death along her belly and teats in the summer. She suffered with sarcoids too under her belly last year (which are now gone). Find it impossible to find fly rugs which cover enough of her belly where she’s getting bitten.

She came in during the day and out at night but still got bitten to death- even with her fly rug on, using phazer gel and fly spray. Tried the lot! I got some deosect she was really allergic to that. Main places she gets bitten are under her belly and towards her teats and hind legs. She’s got pink skin all under her belly and has even had fly bites throughout the sunnier winter days!

What has everyone found is the best fly prevention? I’m also looking at getting her a new waterproof fly rug too. Any recommendations? I’m gearing up ready for the summer and want to have everything ready

BFEC2CED-DEC1-4631-96D1-5AB60E19BFE5.jpeg

Melandmary

Visit site
Well i had the same problem with my cob mare when i got her, including the sarcoids ( which i got rid of with a combination of thuja cream and toothpaste). The only rug that offers protection to cover the teats is a snuggy hoods with beely and udder guard.... Unfortunately not only is it a faff to put on but my horse was far too hot in it ?. For the last few years i have used a daily application of sudacrem on her teats, belly line and inner thigh area and the flies don't bite her there. It doea kind of build up so does not washing off after a week or so. Best keep the cream somwwhere it it warm ao it is easy to apply and less stingy if appkied before the flies start biting. I haven't found any other horsey product that has actually worked except perhaps the yellow flie cream but it is more expensive.... And well, yellow?

Melandmary

Visit site
Hi squeak, is that yellow? I can't remember what the name was of the one i tried other than the colour which was not great on a mainly white cob ?

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Hi squeak, is that yellow? I can't remember what the name was of the one i tried other than the colour which was not great on a mainly white cob ?
The yellow one is the Battles summer fly cream. Good if you don't mind a yellow horse.

Reactions: TPO

lcmcd

New User
Visit site
Just about to get to grips with all these things for another year! We find Killitch / benzyl benzoate really helps. Still need to look at rugs for this year (new here though think I’ve been a member in the past but so long ago it’s forgotten me… have one 26yo gelding I’ve had for 22 years this year, he’s doing well but juggling sweet itch and keeping weight on him just now so enjoying lots of advice on here!)

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
The two products I have found worked are Stinky Stuff and Red Biddy udder salve. The Red Biddy is RED so does show up well on greys. Also it shows when they have rolled in the dust and it then turns rather dust coloured as well.