Best way to introduce traffic...

Sambo

Visit site
I have a nearly 3yr old cob who very much knows his strength, and will drag in a normal headcollar - hes never tried to do it in a controller headcollar though.

But he was just sat in a field really at his old home, have done a lot of ground work with him - he'll now lead away from me, respects my space (all the times hes concentrating on me), lunges and long reins. And so hes never been led out of a yard before. Unfortunately our yard goes straight out onto a main road.

Whats the best way to do this? Just get on with it and power forward? Or take it slow and let him stop and look? And what to do if he starts getting strong/spooky?

kiteman0

Visit site
i think you need to take him out with another horse who is very calm and good in traffic.
you could also take him down to the road and let him watch the traffic come past, then you'll be able to see how he reacts:)

grumblebee

Visit site
Hello

I've always been very lucky in that I have either been in a yard with quiet roads to get them started, by a main road where I have been able to turn them out right by the road so that they got used to it, or by the rail track so that I could turn them out by the trains (the latter was the best, nothing on the road was ever as scary as the road!!).

If none of those are an option I would spend sometime stood by the side of the road (specially if you have a decent side entrance to the yard that will allow space so that he is out of harms way). If there is an old horse that will stand quietly by him that's great, particularly to start off with. I would then start leading him out with a sensible horse so that he gets used to cars coming up behind him!

Although patient is essential, I think a get on with it approach is also essential in that you can't afford for him to mess about on the road!

Have fun! :)