Best way to reintroduce mare to "yearling" foal

Marigold4

Visit site
The mother of my foal has been away at livery for 4 months. Foal is now 10 months old. She has another same age filly for company plus an 8-year-old gelding. The mare is coming back this weekend. My field is separated into 4 paddocks (electric fenced on wooden posts) and I have stables. How would you re-introduce the mare to her foal? What behaviour can I expect from the foal and what precautions should I take? TIA

Marigold4

Visit site
Adjacent paddock for at least a week - more if any signs of unsettled
Back shoes off
Headcollar on when they are put together - so you can quickly catch and separate if needed

Should go fine, but set it up for success and plan in case it doesn't
Thanks for that advice. I will follow. Can't wait to get her back!

Marigold4

Visit site
The mare is now home. Kept them all in and stabled last night with grills over doors etc. A few acrobatics from the mare and my gelding on turn-out this morning, but the foals were pretty calm and kept themselves to themselves in their separate field. So good to have the mare back, safe and sound. It seemed an awful thing to do to send her away but hopefully her foal will be the more independent for it.

Marigold4

Visit site
Well, spoke too soon! Brought them all in this evening as farrier was coming, and my broodmare was awful! The first night they were all in together, grills over the doors, all quiet and everyone calm. Turned out in separate fields for Sunday and Monday. All calm. This evening, my mare was deranged in her stable. She has kicked a hole in her stable wall, kicked her manger off the wall and is generally threshing around, kicking and squealing. She seems to have come into season. I've managed to swap the horses over so that the mare is in a stronger stable as I was genuinely concerned she would come to harm. She seems calmer. The gelding and two foals are being pretty calm and but foals are now in a 12' x 12' stable for the night. It will be cosy! I am SO tempted to drive her back to the stud where she has been for the last 4 months. Please tell me she will calm down!!!

Marigold4

Visit site
How are things going? Hopefully things have settled down!
She's a really good looking mare!
Thank you! She is a really special mare. Unfortunately, despite being away for 4 months, she is still pretty attached to her foal and wants to get to her. They are in separate fields but close to each other - not ideal, but it's what I've got. She was also VERY unamused about her change of stable. Now she's back in her old stable, she's more settled. I'm still pondering what to do with her. I might send her back to the stud where she was over the winter for the summer. She's still galloping round, squealing, chasing my gelding away and being difficult to lead. It's so out of character for her - she's always been easy peasy. Another option I am pursuing is loaning her out this season as a broodmare. She seems to love being in foal and looking after a foal. She's an excellent mother and is perfect for breeding sports ponies or a small horse with potential for dressage or eventing. Unlikely, I suppose in this financial climate - I think breeders are cutting down rather than breeding more.

Marigold4

Visit site
Might just take a few days for her to calm down.
She's improved a bit now she's back in her old stable rather than the smaller one I had intended her to be in. Clearly, not up to her standards! The weather has been so awful here that they have been stabled at night, and this makes things worse, I think. We have overhead powerlines over the field so I don't like to leave them out when it's extremely windy. I'll give her another week before making any decisions. Hopefully the weather will improve and being out more will settle them. The good news is the foals are being so well-behaved and helpful. They are a very sweet pair.