Best Way to remove bot Eggs??

Croeso

Visit site
Tequila & Chelsea have come back from Stud and there front leg's are covered in bot eggs

I haven't had to deal with Bot eggs in like 12 years!
& I just used to pick the few eggs of each night when I brought the horse in.

is there a easy way to remove them?

thankies
tongue.gif

vicster

Visit site
I know Rontus has had none and then this morning i looked and he had loads on his front legs, there is a special knife thingy that gets them off and there only a couple of pounds, i found this qorked quite well
smile.gif

wanderersmelody

Visit site
I bought some of that new stuff on the market - Bot Egg remover. Its a spray and comes with a sponge. You spray it on, leave it on for 15 minutes and wipe the eggs off. Its supposed to stop the flies laying eggs there again for 3 - 5 days and all I can say is that the liquid absoloutely stinks so I'm not surprised nothing will lay its eggs there. In fact, its so bad, I'm thinking of sparying it on my rugs this winter to stop the other horses chewing! THE worst smell I've ever smelt.....Other than that - good old bot knife!

wench

Visit site
They are revolting things. Went to get my horse in last week, and one side of his neck and mane were covered in them, as well as some on the other side of his neck, his chest and legs. The flies had been having a laying spree in a few hours
frown.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
Bot knife is definately the best way - especially if you have a fidget bum horse....razors aren't a good idea near my boy! x

Enfys

Visit site
Hi,

Saw you on your yard the other day on the way back from Black Mountain but we were in a mad rush to get home (forgotten we had the somone coming to give us a quote) or otherwise I would have popped in for two seconds to say Hello.

Bot eggs......apparently those pumice type stoney things that are good for getting off loose hair are good, also, try white vinegar, it dissolves the glue that sticks the eggs to the hairs....apparently, I've never tried it, but it's one of those things you read about somewhere. I haven't got a bot knife, use a hoof paring knife, does the same job.

Sarah B

community.webshots.com
I use my nails
grin.gif

My friend's horse is nursing a nasty tendon injury as we speak - from a bot knife. Her vet bill so far is £700 - horse has to have internal and external stiches and is on box rest. I'm not sure what exactly happened as it was someone else that was removing the eggs - not my friend/the owner
confused.gif

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
easy way? razors. Used to use them on my welshie
laugh.gif

If you get lady razors with guards and all that jazz, the nice cheap ones, then taking into account welsie feathers it shouldn't do the horse any harm.