Best way to repair a rug?!

Jimmy260910

Visit site
So my horse has a new trick - destroying his rugs!

Today I got up to the yard and found he had ripped one of his under belly straps clean off. I just wondered whether it would be stupid of me to try sew it back on myself? or whether I should take it somewhere to get it repaired?

Please excuse my ignorance, for the last four years my horse has been perfect, but he's now being a pain and I'm losing money! :mad:

Many thanks :)

maletto

Visit site
I sewed back on a surcingle that came off, using my plaiting kit. killed my fingers but the surcingle is still in place a couple of months later! :D

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Get a quote from your rug wash company. Mine only charge £7 for repairs no matter how big or small - really worth it as they do a very professional job.

Lambkins

Visit site
Duck tape is ur friend ! Hahahahaha .. I normally use thick plaiting thread for repairs :)

Last edited:

Jimmy260910

Visit site
Get a quote from your rug wash company. Mine only charge £7 for repairs no matter how big or small - really worth it as they do a very professional job.

Yeah I'm just concerned as he's gone without a rug tonight and any rug service I've used has had the rug for a couple of days and he needs to have the rug on as he's out over night (not so bad that he can go without for a little while) but I'm hoping to find a quick solution while he needs it and then when he's rugless send it to a rug repair place :)

Melody Grey

Visit site
You used to be able to buy waxed thread for making running repairs on New Zealand rugs and then rub wax over the top- obviously times have moved on, but the thread is hard wearing and presumably still available for tent repairs etc? Might be worth trying a military store or similar?