Best way to transport horse over longer distances?

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
We need to move my daughter's horse next month - it's going to be around a 4 hour journey and there's no way I'm going to do that distance towing the trailer as my stress levels will already be sky-high by then! We've only done shortish journeys in the trailer (around an hour) and horse has been a perfect traveller - loads easily and is not at all stressed when she gets to our destination. However when we bought her, she came in a 3.5 lorry (journey was about 2.5 hours) and the transporter said she was a bit impatient and 'stompy', especially in heavier traffic.

Before I ask the same transporter for a quote, would we be better off moving her in a bigger lorry? Do horses tend to travel better in those?

Casey76

Visit site
My friends in France would routinely do 7+ hours with a trailer, with all the ponies being fine, even in mid-summer. The motorways in France are 100x better than the UK though...

planete

Visit site
I think the configuration of the lorry is more important than the size. My old horse used to travel like an old pro in a well sprung rear facing small lorry with a low centre of gravity and be a sweating wreck in a larger cattle type lorry which swayed a lot more.

Muddy unicorn

Visit site
Hmm .. I wonder if it's facing backwards that she's not so keen on? She's so good and calm on the trailer - it's not her that's stopping me from taking the trailer, it's me!!

Jango

Visit site
I'd listen to your horse! If he/she is happy in the trailer then just do it yourself, take it steady and take lots of breaks. My mare loads/travels beautifully in a 7.5t but quite badly in a 3.5t. I haven't ever tried her in a trailer.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
It's Surrey to Herefordshire (nearly Wales)
In that case get a quote from the likes of Nicholls transport, she's in Surrey and one of the best transporters in smaller boxes, arranges trips to align with others returning etc.

Or, if horse travels v well, can you obtain a friend who is experienced at driving?

Enfys

Visit site
If she travels fine in your trailer, use that, can you get a driver if you are not happy doing it? Do you have a camera you can use to keep an eye on her?

Get her in, hit the road and keep going, 4 hours is not long, stop once or twice and just check and offer water, although she will probably fuss more when you stop. We travel that to a show and back in a day, we bought our mare back from Quebec, it was a 7 hour journey, stopped once, she was fine in a straight load, but we did take the partition out.

Your horse may be more comfortable with the partition out so that she can choose how she stands.