Best way to use woodchips in a gateway?

H's mum

www.coligone.co.uk
We've got a path which runs infront of our barn from the field gate to the muckheap - It was scraped of topsoil last year and a small amount of scalpings were put down - it was great til the torrential rain came - then the mud suddenly appeared again!
frown.gif

I'm now considering putting down woodchippings (I found the scalpings ended up churning up and small stones in the horse's hooves put me off)

What would be the best way to go around doing this? Would I need to put a breathable membrane down? Would tarpaulin do (the path is on a grandient) It needs sorting out as I'm struggling to get my wheelbarrow down to the muckheap and at 6month pregnant it's only going to get more difficult!
blush.gif

Kate x

Henny

Visit site
We have ours straight on the grass/mud. they rot away slightly but should be fine as long as its think enough

Bowen4Horses

www.poppywebber.co.uk
we have put planings down but the guy we got them from said to put a membrane down, so we did... i thought the membrane would be REALLY expensive, but we found it for next to nothing.

we got a little whacky thing to squash them down, and now have a proper little yard area made out of them. 10m x 8m... for less than £300.

so a gateway would be waaaay cheaper.

we got our planings from mainland aggregates. the guy that runs it is a member on here (mainland i think). he gave me LOADS of advice over the phone/email and was very very helpful. they also do sand and rubber (i am thinking of doing an all-weather turnout bit cos we are on clay clay clay here)

also, i replied on your FB. try wood yards/tree surgeons.

xxxx

Blue-bear

Visit site
ive had both on my yard, woodchips from local tree surgeon cost 20/30quid a load but rot and squish down pretty quickly. And plannings, i also agree that this would be your best option, we just put it straight on, and witht he amount of foot traffic ours has recieved its squashed down on its own. Ive actually still got 2 lorry loads left that i need to sell as were moving out of the yard
frown.gif

Aoibhin

www.Emmaevans.barefootbooks.com
ive got woodchip in a full yard area & walkway between feilds & its brilliant, ours was scraped back & the woodchip was laid on carpet (done by previous owners) works really well though & carpet can be got free second hand (doesnt matter its state after all)