best way to wash waterproof jacket?

daydreamer

Visit site
I wondered if anyone had any advice about how to wash a waterproof jacket so a) it doesn't completely lose it's waterproofing and b) the wee smell disappears!

A horse I ride has a really smelly stable (poorly draining mats? haylage diet??) so all my things end up smelling really badly. Now it is summer I would like to give my coat a wash -but it is a musto waterproof jacket so I don't want to ruin it. Unfortunately I know from trying to wash hats/scarfs etc that the wee smell is really hard to get rid of!

Any adivce?? Ta

Mooch

photobucket.com
I chuck mine in the washing machine on a normal wash, with washing powder/liquid. I then give them an extra rinse and then wash them with the with the horses 'Rug Proof' stuff.

Never had a problem with it and have even used it on non waterproof jackets to give them some protection.

Aces_High

Visit site
You can get a Musto wash that you put in the washing machine with it. I wash all my waterproofs without washing powder and just some fabric conditioner. The Lenor one with Febreeze is good as it smells so strong. My winter waterproofs (Ornella Prosperri) are now about 7/8 years old and still as waterproof now as they were when I bought them. Also line dry it as good old blast of fresh air works wonders!