Best wood pellets.

Sandstone1

Visit site
Another wood pellet thread sorry. After a lot of googling and looking on here I have decided to try wood pellets, have got some lwp to start and have ordered some premium from white horse bedding as don't want to order a big pallet untill I'm happy with them.
Have rubber matting as well.
My gelding does tend to be very wet. Have already tried straw and shavings which both proved to be time consuming and wastefull so I'm hoping wood pellets will be better.
Just looking for information on the best make of wood pellets and how many bags you get through a week.
Also any hints on mucking out would be great.Thanks.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
In a 12x12 box, I used 8 bags to start from scratch. I normally topped up with a bag or so a week. My bags were 15kg each. I mixed them in with a bale of cheapo shavings to make them go further.

Tarandes Bear

Visit site
Blue Ribbon Horse Bedding from Clifford Jones Timber are by far the best IMO. Have tried other brands including a 'very well known' brand and nothing compares to BR. I would never go back to any other form of bedding now, absolutely brilliant !!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Another vote for Woodlets Pellets. I've just ordered another pallet of them from White Horse. In a 12 x 12 stable I statred with 7-8 bags (10kg) & I suppose I top up with about 3 a week. It's hard to generalise on this as it depends on how wet &/or messy your horse is.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Woodlets again here. Have had Verdo, five star professional and blue ribbon, but woodlets are the best.

sare_bear

Visit site
I am also looking at changing to wood pellets, but where I am, I can only get those for fuel. Is there any difference in those that are marketed for horse bedding, rather than fuel? Or are they one and the same? Thanks and sorry for gate crashing your thread. :eek:

Joeyjojo

Visit site
Based on reviews here I've just ordered a load of woodlets pellets from the luxury wood company. They have a sale on until the end of Oct I think.

They seem great so far, but I'm less than a week in! I used 15 10kg bags to start my 14x12 stables, but I don't have matting so wanted it thick and with good banks. Both horses are quite messy but I've only put one bag in one stable - the other still looks fab.

Joeyjojo

Visit site
I am also looking at changing to wood pellets, but where I am, I can only get those for fuel. Is there any difference in those that are marketed for horse bedding, rather than fuel? Or are they one and the same? Thanks and sorry for gate crashing your thread. :eek:

There isn't any difference - it's exactly the same stuff

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Based on reviews here I've just ordered a load of woodlets pellets from the luxury wood company. They have a sale on until the end of Oct I think.

They seem great so far, but I'm less than a week in! I used 15 10kg bags to start my 14x12 stables, but I don't have matting so wanted it thick and with good banks. Both horses are quite messy but I've only put one bag in one stable - the other still looks fab.

That's where I usually get mine but the website says they are out of stock at the moment. When did you order yours?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site

They're the same, there's no product added to the pellets, so safe for horses. The difference is the VAT for fuel and bedding. Some companies don't charge a different amount of VAT, some do.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I use Verdo with EVA matting & despite their poor reviews on here, I'm really impressed with them.

I only swapped from straw with a shavings base (I didn't use EVA matting with straw) as a house move meant I can no longer go home before work to shower & change & as he was so wet on straw, I was paranoid about smelling at the office!

I used 6 bags of pellets to start the bed off & use about half a bag a week. The bed still looks very clean & it's massively reduced mucking out time & his lingering thrush has improved too.

I use Verdo as our local feed/tack shop sells it, so it's more convenient than buying a pallet for one horse.

pokeynokes

Visit site
We've just changed to Woodlets from White Horse Energy - lot better than Verdo. They come from Scotland, but even after paying a delivery surcharge for living in Cornwall, I found them to be the cheapest. I've got a 5% discount code off your 1st order - it's FloJul9563.

Fimonty

New User
Visit site
I've changed again too... I was using Woodlets but now using Sorbeo. It comes in bigger bags and seems to be exactly the same. I don't think there are many distributers yet tho' but I spotted this on Facebook and online. It's a lot lighter in colour than Verdo and certainly more absorbent. We've got 4 on rubber mats - and a pony on a deep bed cos she's so wet. It's brilliant and works really well on both surfaces. Only take me about 3 minutes to muck out one 12 x 12 stable. I've just bought a pallet for £270 which included delivery to Aberdeenshire. I think the offer is still on.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
I've changed again too... I was using Woodlets but now using Sorbeo. It comes in bigger bags and seems to be exactly the same. I don't think there are many distributers yet tho' but I spotted this on Facebook and online. It's a lot lighter in colour than Verdo and certainly more absorbent. We've got 4 on rubber mats - and a pony on a deep bed cos she's so wet. It's brilliant and works really well on both surfaces. Only take me about 3 minutes to muck out one 12 x 12 stable. I've just bought a pallet for £270 which included delivery to Aberdeenshire. I think the offer is still on.

Expensive!

pokeynokes

Visit site
We paid £237.50 for a pallet (98 x 10kg bags) after 5% discount BUT as we live in Cornwall & they come all the way from Scotland, we had to pay a £21 delivery surcharge for PL & TR postcodes. I am quite anal when it comes to researching & that was the best price I could get at the time. Just watch out when you are quoted price per bag - they seem to come in either 10 or 15kg bags. Must say I was glad that the Woodlets were 10kg bags as we had to handball the whole bleddy lot into our storage shed.....

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
20141029_160509_zpswgtplux0.jpg