Best xc / brushing boots for shortish, chunky cannon bones?

viceversa

Visit site
I'm either after some cross country boots or decent brushing boots for my horse. Trouble is, he's only 14.3 / 15hh and doesn't have the longest legs! However he is also fairly chunky. Bought some today but I think they are a bit long for him, seem to come down too far over the inside of his fetlock. But the size below looked ever so small, and wouldn't have been wide enough I don't think!

What boots do you guys use on your chunky pony types? Any suggestions appreciated!! Thanks :)

DressageCob

Visit site
Absolutely definitely not the Premier Equine ones. Brilliant boots but do not fit chunkier legs- they swivel round :(

The only ones I've found for my 14.2hh middle weight cob are the cheapo Roma cross country ones. They stay put :)

I use Legacy brushing boots. They are a good fit (in size 2 for fronts, 3 for backs for me), and they don't move. But I wouldn't do proper XC in them :)

viceversa

Visit site
Ah that's a shame about the Premier Equine ones as I know they're meant to be good. I saw the Roma ones online, they're a really good price however I wondered with them being cheaper would they be prone to holding water, heating the leg etc..?
Funnily enough, it is the Legacy ones I bought, I got size 3 intending to put them in front however they are too long, but they do seem to find hinds ok. Size 2 looked alot smaller in the shop but I may buy them to try in front now you say that :)
Up until now he has never worn boots for anything! :O as tried him in some tendon boots once and he absolutely hated them! Made out he couldn't walk lol :) but now we are doing more xc etc I thought I should take more care.
Thanks for the info :)

DressageCob

Visit site
Ah that's a shame about the Premier Equine ones as I know they're meant to be good. I saw the Roma ones online, they're a really good price however I wondered with them being cheaper would they be prone to holding water, heating the leg etc..?
Funnily enough, it is the Legacy ones I bought, I got size 3 intending to put them in front however they are too long, but they do seem to find hinds ok. Size 2 looked alot smaller in the shop but I may buy them to try in front now you say that :)
Up until now he has never worn boots for anything! :O as tried him in some tendon boots once and he absolutely hated them! Made out he couldn't walk lol :) but now we are doing more xc etc I thought I should take more care.
Thanks for the info :)

I had the same reservations about the Roma ones. But I really like them! They aren't as fancy as some (they don't have air vents for example!) but the inside is a foam and the outside a really strong canvas-like material. The impact point is reinforced and the inside foam is molded to the shape of a horse's leg for extra tendon support (it's a molded lump on either side which go into the grooves in the leg). I've XC schooled and evented using mine and have no complaints so far! They dry really quickly too :D

The Legacy size 2 do look teeny in the shop- I thought that when I first bought mine, but actually fit my horse really well. The packet says the size they are for- I believe it was up to 14.3hh or something like that. But if the 3s are too long then the 2s ought to fit. At least if they're slightly too short the leg is largely protected and they won't rub like oversize boots will!

Jnhuk

Visit site
I was about to recommend the PE ones as they work a treat on my lad's front legs. They have never twisted. However, any XC boots I try for his hinds are too long, so use fetlock boots (leather ones with buckles) for XC. Prior to the PE ones, I had a set of New Equine Wear ones

BeckyD

Visit site
I found PE didn't fit at all - the ones that fitted lenth-wise were too narrow, and the ones that were wide enough, were way too long.

I had the same problem with NEW.

Someone recommended Style boots to me, and I use those for XC. I have since bought some Woof brushing boots that fit lovely, so I suspect that Woof may do appropriate sizing if they do XC boots (which I'm sure they do).

My horse is 16.1hh IDx with very short cannon bones, but quite a bit of bone. It's the shortness of his cannon bones that causes the problems though.