Best XC schooling venues in Hampshire

Captain Bridget

Visit site
As title, my sharer and I will be borrowing a friends horse box for a week in August so we can get out and do some things this year including a show or two, maybe hacking somewhere different and XC schooling.

We're based in Hampshire, near Winchester so obviously there's Three Maids Chasers but what are the other venues in Hampshire like? I've never been anywhere else!

One horse is 17, will jump most things and of a decent size, the other is green, potentially never XC schooled before but has done sponsored rides. We don't want to overface them but we want to make it worth going as we only have the box for a week!

Recommendations and reviews most welcome! Homemade vegetable soup for those that reply. ;)

D

Deleted member 104317

Tweseldown in Fleet is fantastic if you want to jump that bit bigger, fences between BE90 and BE Intermediate (+ some smaller).
http://www.tweseldown.co.uk/welcome-to-tweseldown

Iping, Hammerwood is really lovely! Very hilly though ;) A couple of waters, plenty of drops and ditches. Fences between BE80 and BE Novice.
http://ipingcrosscountrycourse.co.uk/

Fairoak, Rogate in Petersfield is nice if you're jumping a bit smaller. Really good water, lots of ditches!
http://www.fair-oak.co.uk/

Fairoak and Iping may be a little too far, but Tweseldown is fantastic!
Have loads of fun - expecting plenty of pictures wherever you go!

AandK

Visit site
If you fancy something other than Three Maids, then I second Boomerang, its not too far from Winchester. Lots of little stuff for the green one, and plenty of bigger stuff for the older one.

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Just had a look through everything, Tweseldown is def too big, Iping is probably too big too.

Fair Oak is only 25/30 mins by car from mine so add 15 from the yard it's still under an hour roughly so that's a possibility, the jumps there look good and a good variety of size and type with some nice mini ones to get us going!

Boomerang looks interesting, and with plenty of variety but not sure they have the littlies, and also it looks about 50 miles away when Fair Oak is only 15!

Parwood again looks interesting but do they have the littlies? I think I used to drive past it all the time going to my Nanna's in Woking!

Dene Farm I couldn't find many pictures of what's available there, more info welcome as that isn't too far.

Rockbourne I couldn't find much info about either! But again, it's not tooooo far, mostly motorway to get down there so pretty easy.

Larkhill I can rule out as they're not open when we have the box!

But any more information on these places would be really appreciated! I've only been to Three Maids once and it wasn't very inspiring in my opinion. Also any pictures you have that might show these places are always welcome. ;)

We would of course get plenty of photos wherever we go as I think my dad will drive the box and he's a keen photographer!

Lurk

New User
Visit site
Dene Farm has lots of small fences, ranging from tiny 1ft logs to perhaps 2'6 - 2'9. Water, steps etc - all small. Some fences have height options alongside each other.

Lurk

New User
Visit site
Actually I schooled at Hoplands a couple of years ago which was really good; not sure if its still available for hire though.

lex2501

Visit site
Definitely recommend Lower Peake Farm at Warnford. Not far at all from you and has a really great xc course! It's a bit of a hidden gem, and not widely advertised but I can give you owners mob no. on sat if you like :)

seabsicuit2

Visit site
Ooh merry- at sparsholt?! a proper XC schooling complex/ course? I know that they ve always had a few logs and tyres etc but didn't know that they had upgraded things, is it def open to the public?

Captain Bridget

Visit site
Definitely recommend Lower Peake Farm at Warnford. Not far at all from you and has a really great xc course! It's a bit of a hidden gem, and not widely advertised but I can give you owners mob no. on sat if you like :)

Ooh yes that would be great! Fingers crossed Larry is back in working order by Saturday. What sort of things do they have there? Just googled it, really not far at all!

Searched Sparsholt as well, the website says there's a schooling field open with 20 or so jumps but they plan for more to be open, or at least that was the jist of it. But it's £20 for only an hour whereas other places are £25 for as long as you like.