BETA 3 compliant body protectors on a budget? (and what do you all use?)

Widgeon

Visit site
I always ride in an air jacket as I've decided that on balance, it's best for what I do (lots of hacking, minimal jumping, mainly just want to protect my neck and back in the event of some sort of disaster where I hit the deck hard). I've not worn a body protector since I was a teenager (so about fifteen years ago) and back then they were horrible clunky things that never really fitted, caught on the back of the saddle and were frankly dangerous as it was like trying to ride in a straitjacket.

I'm thinking about joining a local riding club and it appears that if I do, I will need one - so can anyone recommend some cheaper options that conform to either BETA 3 (2009) or BETA 3 (2018)? A Racesafe or Aeroware would be lovely but I don't have the £150-£250 that I would need to spend to get one of those. I've checked the list at www.beta-uk.org but it's really just a list of manufacturers, so not very helpful. Any info on fit etc would be handy too - I'm 5'7" with a long back, 36" chest and wide shoulders, and I don't have loads of time or local tack shops available to go traipsing round trying on options that are just the wrong shape.

Any suggestions much appreciated - thanks very much.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I always ride in an air jacket as I've decided that on balance, it's best for what I do (lots of hacking, minimal jumping, mainly just want to protect my neck and back in the event of some sort of disaster where I hit the deck hard). I've not worn a body protector since I was a teenager (so about fifteen years ago) and back then they were horrible clunky things that never really fitted, caught on the back of the saddle and were frankly dangerous as it was like trying to ride in a straitjacket.

I'm thinking about joining a local riding club and it appears that if I do, I will need one - so can anyone recommend some cheaper options that conform to either BETA 3 (2009) or BETA 3 (2018)? A Racesafe or Aeroware would be lovely but I don't have the £150-£250 that I would need to spend to get one of those. I've checked the list at www.beta-uk.org but it's really just a list of manufacturers, so not very helpful. Any info on fit etc would be handy too - I'm 5'7" with a long back, 36" chest and wide shoulders, and I don't have loads of time or local tack shops available to go traipsing round trying on options that are just the wrong shape.

Any suggestions much appreciated - thanks very much.

You only need one for RC if you are planning on doing XC. If you are not planning on going XC I wouldn't bother.

I would look on FB or Ebay and see if you can get a 2nd hand one. You are not far off me with measurements and I have a L Dainese which is pretty comfortable. It really depends on what you are planning on as if for longer term then I would get a 2018 rated one but if just for the immediate short term I would get one of the older ones which are still accepted by BE/BRC. They will be much cheaper.

I am admittedly completely anal about BPs and yet hardly wear one. I prefer the waistcoat type with a zip up the front and very flexible. They also tend to be the more expensive ones. Check Decathlon as usually good for stuff like this which are cheaper.

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Some RCs do insist on a BP for any jumping. 3 of my most local ones have it in their rules for any sj comps they have, as well as xc and hunter trials.
My most local one insists on them for any sj training (as well as xc).

Hope you find one to suit OP.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Some RCs do insist on a BP for any jumping. 3 of my most local ones have it in their rules for any sj comps they have, as well as xc and hunter trials.
My most local one insists on them for any sj training (as well as xc).

Hope you find one to suit OP.
gosh I am glad we don't have that rule in the SW. It should be personal choice apart from XC.

Widgeon

Visit site
Hope you find one to suit OP.[/QUOTE]
You are not far off me with measurements and I have a L Dainese which is pretty comfortable....Check Decathlon as usually good for stuff like this which are cheaper.

Thanks very much, I had assumed that Decathlon would not be compliant (as most of their hats are not compliant with British regs) but I hadn't actually checked, so that's good to know. And I hadn't even heard of Dainese as a brand, so also helpful. I will follow up both of these (probably Decathlon....I do love Decathlon!)

Wishfilly

Visit site
I had this Rodney Powell one for a while: https://www.discount-equestrian.co.uk/rodney-powell-superflex-contour-body-protector-adult.html

Not loads cheaper, but not quite as expensive, and very comfy. I used it for BHS exams, so I assume it complies with all the regs.

If you can squash yourself into a child size one, they are even cheaper (no VAT).

Otherwise, as others have said, look for deals second hand- I would buy a BP second hand, as damage is more likely to be obvious and they usually aren't damaged by falls.

daydreamer

Visit site
Mega discounts direct from Dainese at the moment - https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/equestrian/

Thanks for this. I had never heard of them but looked them up and have taken a gamble on the size M. I can always send it back if it doesn't fit! My old BP is realllllyyyy old and not very comfortable and hopefully I am going to back my youngster this year so figure I probably ought to wear a body protector.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Mega discounts direct from Dainese at the moment - https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/equestrian/

I would have recommended Dainese (and indeed I did so in a at least one thread on here) until recently

About a month ago I found out that I could no longer fasten the zip on my Dainese bought with a big discount: the pin will no longer fit into the pin box. I took it to a local shop to talk with the owner about getting a much better zip fitted, because the one put there by Dainese is a right piece of crap.

On examining the construction it seems that the zip cannot be easily replaced; she'd need to undo several seams, take out the internal padding, replace the zip, put back the padding then sew up the seams again.

So it looks like it'll be going back to Padd.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If it is for competition, I would just check the Dainese ones for compliance. They are level 3, but I think they are on sale because they are the old 2009 level 3, not the 2018. They can still be used now, I think, but will go out of date once the 2018 ones are taken as the only current standard. There isn't a date for that yet, as far as I know.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
the site says that dainese UK shipments are on hold ATM cos brexit

The checkout page says just Northern Ireland shipments - and that the rest of UK shipments are going out as normal, but possibly with some delays. Friend just ordered a BP and it turned up within a week.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Oh, on the FAQ pages about when will I receive my order it says
https://www.dainese.com/gb/en/general-faq.html
Please note that due to Brexit and to the consequent compulsory Customs formalities, shipments to the United Kingdom are on hold at the moment and they will resume as soon as possible.
If you have any doubts, please contact our Consumer Care Team via the Contact Us Form.

teapot

Visit site
If it is for competition, I would just check the Dainese ones for compliance. They are level 3, but I think they are on sale because they are the old 2009 level 3, not the 2018. They can still be used now, I think, but will go out of date once the 2018 ones are taken as the only current standard. There isn't a date for that yet, as far as I know.

That's what I was wondering.

PDF on the BETA website saying the 2009 standard will be withdrawn on 31st March 2019 - withdrawn from what, manufacturing I assume? So anything for sale with a 2009 label will be at least two years old...