Better to sell as project or do the work in today's market?

horsemad32

Visit site
Basically, as in title. Obviously if the work is put in, you can sell for more, but in this market, what is selling better? Projects, or more finished horses? Do people have the money for a horse currently competing at a decent level or are they more after something cheaper that they can school up themselves?

Biscuit

Visit site
I should imagine it depends on which market you are aiming at - for example people who are looking for safe weight carrying cob mit be less keen on a project than someone looking for something to event? As well as the age of the horse. People buying youngsters probably expect to have to school, while older horses are expected to be more established.
What size, age and type of horse is it?

Goldenstar

Visit site
Are you a dealer ?
If not do what makes you happy .
IMO its always easiest to sell well trained easy nice horses whatever the type.
But I like projects so that's what I typically buy.

horsemad32

Visit site
Are you a dealer ?
If not do what makes you happy .
IMO its always easiest to sell well trained easy nice horses whatever the type.
But I like projects so that's what I typically buy.

Nope lol. Friend asked me to do the work for her on one of hers as she's having to reduce numbers due to pregnancy/baby. I'm wondering whether it's worth it though, as it's not about the money, it's about her not having time for the horse - she just wants to find it a decent home. It will be a comp horse eventually, not a family plod. So you think it's worth the effort?

rowan666

Visit site
I think that depends on the age of the horse, under 7 then most wouldnt mind putting the leg work in but over and you would expect most of the work done and for horse to be on the road to being an established event horse

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Ir depends in a lot of factors.
What was original cost of horse?
Cost of livery, instruction, competing etc and advertising.

Work it out so would selling for a smaller amount with less expenses be better than spending morning the horse and selling for a higher price?

Billabongchick

Visit site
It never ceases to amaze me some of the horses that my YO gets in on schooling livery. Some of them must be worth less than a grand (or even £500 mark) and even with the work she puts in to get them safely riding out/schooling etc they are just limited in price due to their type and size. Owners are paying around a tenth of the value of the horse for schooling livery EVERY WEEK! Which to me seems like craziness and economically an awful idea. I understand some of these owners are not so bothered about the cost and just want to give their pony the chance of a better home but the majority of them don't even come up to see their ponies at all so it confuses me...

I agree with the poster above who suggested advertising now as a green project but re advertising at a later date if he doesn't sell quickly and progresses more with the work you are doing.

Goldenstar

Visit site
If its a competition type I would put the word about now its good time of year for selling that type of project but itt should be well mannered to handle and able to show its potential at a viewing to give it the best chance of attracting a good buyer so you should perhaps do a bit with it to get ready to show its self off.