Beware - Scottish/North of England Peeps

Noodlejaffa

www.ailsamactaggart.co.uk
Just had a message from a friend to say there's been a tack theft at a yard near Duns, Berwickshire last night. All tack and rugs completely cleared out.
thumbsdown.gif

I'll post more details when I get them, but just thought I'd let you know to be extra vigilent.

punk

Visit site
EEK! Do keep us posted - not that anyone would want most of our smelly dirty rugs!!! The tack is a different issue though! Thanks for letting us know..

Noodlejaffa

Okay, just had full report. Thieves broke in to premises, past house with dogs (who apparently heard nothing) and got to a well-locked building. Broke into there, removed all tack and rugs (immediately behind house and well hidden from road) and made off with it all. Have also heard that they removed field-sized gates too, but not sure if that was connected with this theft or one close by.

Theft was two miles out of Duns on main road to Berwick. I am only two miles from the theft so am now in utter spasms of panic. Have certainly seen odd cars turning up at yard when I've been mucking out at 5am, so people are obviously cruising around looking for opportunity.

Please be very, very vigilant and report anything suspicious.

dominobrown

Visit site
I have loads of stuff nicked, they came back 3 times and the only thing that stopped them was the snow! Police 'think they know who it is' yet manage to do nothing. Luckily by the 3rd time they came back they couldn't break down the gate or fencing due extra security and stole nothing (as all the stuff worth stealing is in my house!) so just messed everything up. Although my yard is close to my home it worries me what they might do to my horses. They stole mostly bedding, they tried to steal hay but we have cut all the strings on every bale so all the did was make a mess.
Its horrible.

nixxyz

Visit site
blimey better keep an eye on mine then, very near duns :( did wonder why the police were driving around the wee back roads ( very slowly) maybe looking for someone or something.

thanks for the heads up tho :)

tantallon

Visit site
I used to live on a farm just outside Duns and this happened to me - my tackroom was really tucked away up a backdrive and you would never guess it was there unless you had been watching the place. They cleared the whole flipping lot out. The police at the time told me that they thought it was gangs from Newcastle who come up to that area now and again, steal everything and pack it off to Ireland so they thought I would have no chance of getting anything back. I used to do the horses and then go to work in Edinburgh but there were plenty of other people around on the farm including a back kitchen that looked out onto the old building that tack was in! The police told me the best thing I could do if there were tack thieves in the area was to vary my routine so that any theives taking note could never predict when someone was going to be around. They suggested making sure that a friend or someone (if poss) just walked up to and pootled around the tackroom area at odd times of the day if I wasn't around.

laa666

Visit site
Sadly theft is all over the place, just had a Albion K2 stolen and I am down in Devon, I now keep all my tack in the house. I hate leaving the property if nobody about, have put security lights up all over the place. Saddle was not insured, everything is now !!!!! I think theft of tack is going to get worse ! Police came in and kindly marked my other saddles with my postcode, everything helps, but so angry at loosing such a good saddle.

Noodlejaffa

Yeah, it was at Crumstane Cottages. Funny thing is, they've been doing roadworks on that stretch of road for the last couple of months - with traffic lights. Loads of people sitting idly in their cars right beside where the theft took place. Coincidence or...?