BHS Awards/Knowing your horse

GillyM

New User
Visit site
What are people's opinions on the one line courses for these.

I currently have a weekly lesson and we are starting to help with leading the horses back to stables taking off saddle etc. The riding centre is currently not offering stable management lessons that I would be able to get to because of work, so whilst I know hands on is the best way to learn do you think these on line courses are beneficial to go alongside weekly lessons?

Parrotperson

Visit site
I'd say no. You really only learn it by doing it. Obviously there's bits you can read about (feeding as an example) but the handling part, the knowledge of just looking after them and what you pick up.

Is there anywhere near you that do practical lessons?

Widgeon

Visit site
You can learn things from many sources and I'd include online courses in that. Read as much as you can too.

Only just spotted this post but I'd completely agree with this, read everything you can and if the courses are free or cheap I'd do those too. I read absolutely everything horsey that I could get my hands on as a child, and now I have my own horse, it actually does help to be somewhat familiar with all sorts of things, even though that knowledge was initially purely theoretical. You can't beat hands on experience but do read everything you can!

Bob notacob

Visit site
You can learn things from many sources and I'd include online courses in that. Read as much as you can too.
I was teaching the other night (stage 2 stable management), and the subject was grooming ...Q.. Why do we groom . A young lad came up with an answer that blew my mind. ITS A WAY OF SAYING THANK YOU TO THE HORSE!. I cant get the idea out of my head. After half a century around horses I had lost sight of this . Grooming had become a chore. I am now trying to have more quality time grooming Bob. You are never too old to learn and everyone has something to teach if you just listen.

abbijay

Visit site
I'm of the opinion that all learning is a good thing. Online will never replace hands on learning however the theory you can acquire online will set you up for the hands on to follow.
Knowing your cheekpieces from your throatlash means when it comes to putting the bridle on or off you know which strap to unfasten.
Before I got my own horse I would read everything I could find: books, magazines, forums, etc. Nowadays I still read the internet and watch videos online or go to demos to increase my knowledge. Not everything is relevant to me all the time but I add it to the knowledge bank and it is hopefully there at a time that is relevant to me.

Bob notacob

Visit site
I am a renegade, I do try to teach the BHS way ,but sometimes you just have to say "throw the book away, Deal with the horse in front of you" I absolutely love teaching stable management at my local BHS centre. I learn so much from my pupils !Why do we groom ? Answer! Its a way of saying "thank you" This totally blew my mind! Get on an off line course and mingle with people like yourself . I hope you are surrey ,south London because I want you on my course!

teapot

Visit site
What are people's opinions on the one line courses for these.

I currently have a weekly lesson and we are starting to help with leading the horses back to stables taking off saddle etc. The riding centre is currently not offering stable management lessons that I would be able to get to because of work, so whilst I know hands on is the best way to learn do you think these on line courses are beneficial to go alongside weekly lessons?

Find a centre that can offer you both stable management and ridden lessons. I’d be wary of anywhere that says they can’t.